Thread: Sudoku

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sudoku

Hey guys

I'm sure many of you have heard of "Sudoku" (google). It's a math game that's in many newspapers and was popularised by a New Zealander.

Anyway, my dad has been working on something that helps solve sudoku problems - a "Sudoku Helper" spreadsheet that he made in Excel.

Download here. (33K)

Now, he doesn't believe so, but I think there is a possible use for it. It doesn't "solve" sudokus per se, but if you put in all the numbers you have it will show you where another number could go in one or more squares, by using conditional IF statements in Excel. I think there is a use for, say, when an office is doing the "terminator" difficulty sudoku in the morning's paper and they get stuck - rather than leaving it they could put the numbers in and thus get a hint on the next number.

So I'm putting it on the 'net, and trying to get people to try it out. If you're running Excel and like sudoku, could you please give it a try and post your thoughts?

ps: The spreadsheet contains macros, so Excel will warn you. I'm telling you that none of them are harmful, but of course you should take proper precautions if you don't believe me.
    This is a viral sig. Copy me and help me spread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just used it on the sudoku puzzle at yahoo games (http://www.nonzero.it/yahoouk/) and it worked perfectly. Very clever your dad.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did wonder how long it would be before these popped up! I love them personally but rather like figuring it out myself but certainly well done cos it would not have been easy!
    Regular user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a real coincidence. I was reading the metro this mornign on my way to work and they announced that they were adding another game and it was Soduku. They didnt really explain how to solve the puzzles, so i was just staring blankly trying to figure out what i was supposed to do. Guess i'll ahve to research and look what your dad's cooked up.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback, guys

There are actually some sudoku solvers on the 'net that actually solve sudokus when you put the numbers in, but they're all written in VBA with Excel being nothing more than the interface (and a bad choice of interface too). Dad did this one with nothing more than conditional if statements.

Oh, and if you're wondering why it's locked, that's so you can't accidentally overwrite the squares that are used for the math, because if you destroyed them you'd lose the puzzle. Password is "abc" if you really want to unlock it.
    This is a viral sig. Copy me and help me spread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vhogarth
    This is a real coincidence. I was reading the metro this mornign on my way to work and they announced that they were adding another game and it was Soduku. They didnt really explain how to solve the puzzles, so i was just staring blankly trying to figure out what i was supposed to do. Guess i'll ahve to research and look what your dad's cooked up.
    Have a look at this Daily Mail page. The thing to remember is that there is no maths involved, only logic.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vhogarth
    Yeah I just heard about them yesterday too. Basically each box of 3x3 has to have the numbers 1-9, no repeating numbers, each row of the entire box has to have 1-9 no repeating numbers, and the columns have to have 1-9 no repeating numbers. Presumably based on the numbers given you can fill in the blanks. They can be rather challenging, though.

If you go to the link above you'll see that it's default to "easy". Today's screenshot:

Now what I do is I look in the first column of 3 to see if there any duplicates. In this case, there's a 7 in both the top and middle box. That means we know there's a 7 in the bottom box and it can't be in either the middle or left-most column since that's where the other two are. That leaves us with only too spots, top right and middle right of the bottom left box. One of those two has to be a 7. As you'll notice the bottom-right box has a 7 in the top row, therefore it must be in the middle. The highlighted box there must be a 7.

Put your best practices away. The New Guy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I play. I find it rather easy. Even the hard ones. It wont replace the crossword like people are saying.
    "A nerd who gets contacts
    and a trendy hair cut is still a nerd"

- Stephen Colbert on Apple Users

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The New Guy
    I play. I find it rather easy. Even the hard ones. It wont replace the crossword like people are saying.
    I've never been a fan of crosswords. Crosswords require knowledge on broad topics. Category-specific crosswords aren't bad, but the general ones are pretty difficult. This requires nothing but logic, meaning you don't need to know anything special, you just have to be able to see patterns and count, really. I like them.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Bleys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give me crosswords (or any number of other word puzzles). Words > Numbers.
    Josh is an anomaly
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.

Put your best practices away. The New Guy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhois
    I've never been a fan of crosswords. Crosswords require knowledge on broad topics. Category-specific crosswords aren't bad, but the general ones are pretty difficult. This requires nothing but logic, meaning you don't need to know anything special, you just have to be able to see patterns and count, really. I like them.
    Don't get me wrong I like it too. It's just alittle over hiped.
    "A nerd who gets contacts
    and a trendy hair cut is still a nerd"

- Stephen Colbert on Apple Users

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The New Guy
    Don't get me wrong I like it too. It's just alittle over hiped.
    I've been doing Soduku for at least 12 months. It has come to the attention of GC for a week and now it is "over hyped?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sudoku is great fun altogether

they have a new one, i think its called kudoku

the box can be anything from 4x4 - 10x10

it involves only words and the word going left ot right must go top to bottom

them
    hate
    etas
    mess

and yes etas is a word

its much harder than the normal sudoku

there is a 10x10 one that has been ongoing for 10 years apparently

Mongols of the world, unite! Lira's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mahjong > Sudoku
    Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family.
    Choose washing machines, cars, tableless sites, and SEO.
    Choose DIY and wondering who the f' you are on a Sunday morning.
    Choose a marketing strategy. Choose your future.
    Choose life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ooooh CONTROVERSIAL

:-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got addicted to these at school. I got a book for christmas.