SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

use link rel= but now allow users to view file or download it

I am having an annoying problem... over the last year a competitor of mine has made a habit out of blatantly copying content from my site and/or rewording it in order to compete with me in the search engines. One instance I cannot prove but have a strong feeling about is blatantly copying my ICRA (Internet Content Rating Association) tag. I just went to http://icra.org and found that they have a new system in place that stores your icra rating in a .rdf (which is an xml file) which will be hosted on my server. I will link to this file in the head of my html.

Can anyone tell me how I can link to this file using <link rel="meta" href="http://tentonweb.com/labels.rdf" type="application/rdf+xml" title="ICRA labels" /> but not allow the file to be browsed to, viewed, downloaded? I have not posted this to my web site yet.

Many thanks!
    Jim Summer
    ~ Twitter SEO_Web_Design or Google+

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tentonjim
    Can anyone tell me how I can link to this file using <link rel="meta" href="http://tentonweb.com/labels.rdf" type="application/rdf+xml" title="ICRA labels" /> but not allow the file to be browsed to, viewed, downloaded? I have not posted this to my web site yet.
    If you don't want it to be viewed or downloaded then there's no point putting it on the internet. If you really want the non-functional link tag to be there then add it to your code and don't upload a corresponding rdf file, but this is an exercise in futility if you ask me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Vinnie,
    First off - sorry for the cross posting, won't do that again.

Isn't there a way to secure a file or folder from being viewed unless it is being called from within the domain, as in a link tag, or from specific domains, say icra.org?

I do want to upload this file so it activates browser security for "allowable sites"... say if some parent has the offensive content filter turned on for their kids or what not.

Thank you.
    Jim Summer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tentonjim
    Hi Vinnie,
    First off - sorry for the cross posting, won't do that again.

Isn't there a way to secure a file or folder from being viewed unless it is being called from within the domain, as in a link tag, or from specific domains, say icra.org?

I do want to upload this file so it activates browser security for "allowable sites"... say if some parent has the offensive content filter turned on for their kids or what not.

Thank you.
    What server platform are you using? I'm guessing ASP/IIS since you posted in there as well. To do so in IIS, right-click the file in question in the IIS control panel app and choose "Properties". Click on the "file security" tab and click on the edit button under the "IP address and domain name restrictions". Then limit access all you want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot!
    Jim
    Jim Summer