SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Site segmentation/classification

I am not planning on starting an online banner ad network (just as well because I am a complete ignoramus about all this sort of stuff), but I kind of need to know something that those members who are running banner networks could help me with.

Q How do you categorise your publishers' sites into market segments? Is there a standard way in which the market is segmented? For example, would the DMOZ classification be suffieicent? Is it used? Or does each network devise their own classification schema?

Basically, I working on a project with a list of what will grow to be tens of thousands of web site owners. So I want some sort of classification scheme to use as the basis of segmenting these members in the member database. I was thinking of using the DMOZ classification schema - or part of it anyway.

Any suggestions?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sites are normally categorized by content into broad Yahoo-like categories, and then into subcategories.

BURST!, for instance, has 20 main categories and 477 subcategories.

Sites can also be carved into demographic groups like gender or age.
    Sean Singer, Web Site Editor
    BURST! Media
    Burlington, Massachusetts
    tel. 781.852.5278

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought this would get more response. To all you ad networks/agencies, how are you going to sell my inventory when you can't help me segment my portfolio of member sites?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what you mean by your portfolio of member sites, since I haven't seen your site, but advertisers buy inventory either on a site by site basis, by category, by network, or by particular demographics that are not bound by any particular category.

Sean
    BURST! Media
    tel. 781.852.5278

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, well, I'll stop beating around the bush and explain things exactly. What I am launching is a url redirection and forwarding service. There are plenty around, notably V3 ownded by Fortunecity. There are about 70 domain names that initially make up the portfolio of available domains from which members can create an "identity".

Now the reason I didn't explain all that is I know that most of the ad networks don't want to deal with redirection sites and I don't want everyone telling me this We will handle negotioting sales of the inventory ourselves, and plain old placement of advertising through the redirection service will probably not be a major source of income relative to income generated from other means, including a well segmented membership mailing list, paid services, and a whole raft of other avenues and bits and pieces. The devil is in the details I tell you.

So what I wanted to know, is given that I want to capture the most usefull info possible from members when they sign up, in terms of being able to market ad placement on the network of sites, segment the mailing list etc, would the dmoz directory classification system be a good basis on which to classify member sites. But I think seancentric, you have kind of given me the idea that this would be a good basis, because the DMOZ classification is very similar to the Yahoo-like classification you say that Burst has.

Sorry if I was vague, but I don't like mentioning the specifics of projects before they are realised because, like all projects that are in the pipeline that invlolve several partners, there is always the chance that they will never see the light of day. Thanks.
    Last edited by freakysid; Aug 8, 2001 at 10:55.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    freakysid,

Please take a look at our Gallery: http://www.burstmedia.com/release/gallery/gallery.asp

which should give you some idea of how the categories are. The gallery isn't at all the tool Sales uses to look at ad codes or sell or anything, but it gives you some idea of the breakdown.

And our eligibility requirements (in addition to the contract) are important: http://www.burstmedia.com/release/join/join_us.htm Sites must follow those.

Also, all the sites must have a Privacy Policy of some sort and they must load our Demographic Survey.

Please email or message me outside of the forum for more specific info.

Cheers,

seancentric
    BURST! Media
    tel. 781.852.5278