SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ASP remote connection problems

Howdy all... my first post at SitePoint.

Took the leap into ASP using UltraDev 4 recently and have had some success but with a nagging problem that we can't crack.

Using IIS 4 on an NT Server we've set up the DNS's on the server without any problem and when I create the connections in UltraDev at the Server.... no problem, it all works like a charm when I test the live data. .

However, when I try to create a similar site on my notebook running Win2K Pro (connected to the network which can see all required server folders, etc) I can't recreate the "remote" DNS using the Application Server. I've tried logging in as administrator, my own account with administrator priviledges, etc, etc... no luck.

When trying to test the DSN connection I get an error that says "ODBC MS Access Driver - Could not find file "unknown" followed by "ODBC MS Access Driver - SQLSetConnectAttr failed".

Anyone else been down this road before?
    Cheers,

ALT.NET - because we need it silver trophybronze trophy dhtmlgod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive had the error before, and it amounted to me forgetting to copy the database to the proper directory.

so u should test this, that the paths in the dsn and the rely paths are the same, and check the names are correct, if this doesnt work, have a look for the error at http://msdn.microsoft.com

hope thats help full

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see where you're coming from, however I have moved the database from the wwwroot to the c:drive and everywhere in between.. makes no difference. And it works when I edit the connection at the server, just not thru my own workstation...

Thanks tho...

Mobywan
    There's a difference between knowing the path & walking the path...

ALT.NET - because we need it silver trophybronze trophy dhtmlgod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm... thats always been the problem for me when ive gotten that error...

looking on the msdn site now...

jus some extra info, whats the paths for the server, and the workstation? the dsn ones

hmm... couldnt find nething on the msdn site... ill go and find some1 that might know...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate. I tried technet but the best I could come up with is "this is by design". How's that for a resolution to a MS issue?

The path to the database on the server from my workstation would be "\\servername\inetpub\wwwroot\database\filename.mdb".

Locally (on the server) I've just created a System DSN by browsing to the DB through ODBC in Control Panel. It's only when I try to see that system DSN through UltraDev from a network client that it spits the dummy...

Cheers,
    Mobywan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem solved...

Bought the "Foundation Dreamweaver UltraDev 4" from FriendsofEd. First section I read about DSN connections tells me how to create a UDL to use with a connection string... and bingo!

Thanks DHTMLgod for your help too.

Mobywan