SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a good PHP framework is one that allows nearly every aspect of its design to be overridden. This really wasn't possible in some cases until recently with PHP 5 and abstract classes + interfaces.
    Wasn't so long ago I got pasted by a few members who said that I were using too much abstraction... You can never really over use abstraction in my view, but I wasn't looking for an arguement that day, so I just let it go

Eventually the most popular, supported, and community-driven frameworks will win out, and the critical mass will be there.
    This is why some frameworks in Java are way more popular than some of the others, the uptake is massive, simply because the framework (ie Spring for example) does exactly what the users are asking of it. PHP on the other hand, are all individualist frameworks, all doing their own thing, that of what the developer(s) wanted - not what the larger community wanted.

WACT is community lead for example, so maybe that'll make some inroads. Reading what Selkirk had to say on the mailing lists, of what some of the new stuff being developed, it sounds interesting.

There is hope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    www.dreamhost.com offers both Ruby on Rails and PHP5, although the latter is only available as a CGI.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am trying to nail down some reliable intel on a2webhosting.com. I gueas the fact that there is not much info on them means that they at least are responsive to their account holders.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Livingston
    Wasn't so long ago I got pasted by a few members who said that I were using too much abstraction... You can never really over use abstraction in my view, but I wasn't looking for an arguement that day, so I just let it go
    Wow, that's odd. Of course, "class soup" is something I've seen in some projects and is to be avoided, but, generally speaking, I think the ability to swap out classes in a system with your own is really important. The great thing about OOP after all is the distinction between interface and implementation. An object calling another object doesn't care how that object works internally, only that it gets the right data, contains the right data, and returns the right data. If all your classes are tightly intertwined and everything has to work "just so", you might as well pass variables around to functions.

Just my 2c, and it sounds like we're on the same page....

Cheers,

Jared

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An object calling another object doesn't care how that object works internally, only that it gets the right data, contains the right data, and returns the right data.

That is why we have Interfaces, these allow for that inter-communication between classes. Interfaces are there to describe an implementation, but the implementation it's self isn't forced.

Someone was pondering on the benifits of type hinting, well you use type hinting as a means to ensure of an implementation, of which there may be several implementations of the same interface.