SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New form of website promotion

Hello, I am currently in the process of developing new website promotion technology and have some questions for the general webmaster/advertising community.

Unfortunatlley I am not able to give out to much information about this project before it's release date, which has yet to be set, so please bear with me at this time.

Ok,

1. If you could promote your website to a targeted audience with a 100% return ratio, would you do it?

2. Say, when you signup for the program, it will deliver you 100 targeted web surfers to your site just for signing up. To earn more web surfers to your site you would need to earn credits torwards your site, for each credit you earn you get another user to your website. Do you think you would actively participate in a credit-based system or some sort of referral system?

3. How much money would you be willing to pay for 10,000 targeted users to your website?

Once more, i apologize for not being able to say to much about this project so please dont ask to many questions. Well you can, but i might not be able to answer them all.

Thank you!

Stephen Williams
    CEO - DB Co.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Of course who wouldnt

2. How do you earn more credits

3.I dont know what the pricing for this is in todays economy but target traffic will bring a much higher premium then untargeted.
    affordablecolo.com - Carrier grade colocation at an affordable price!

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An ecommerce site would pay more for targetted users than a content site. Be sure to keep that in mind.

I wouldn't expect a content site to pay much more than $100-$200 for 10,000 users. An ecommerce site, depending on what they sell (knicknacks, bicycles, yachts) would spend substantially more. A place that sells yachts might pay $100,000 for 10,000 visitors who are interested in buying a yacht. It all depends on how much they make per sale.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cbaker, thanks for the reply, however I am unable to answer your question on "how do you earn more credits?".

All I can say is it's a new system that's yet to have been done before.

Thank you for your reply though!

Stephen Williams
    CEO - DB Co.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The whole question reeks of a post sounding suspiciously like a set up for another spam promotion program (ala' "StartBlaze") - get people excited and let the suspense build waiting for the big build up; Question one feels like the classic technique in sales, "Get 'em saying yes in your conversation to make 'em say yes to the sale..."

Of course this is SitePoint and we all try to assume the best about each other without flaming so, in that vein:

1) Whadduthink? (Of course this question kind of loses me because NO form of promotion has 100% response. If I'm left incredulous at the first question this sets up a disjunct in my mind questioning the believability of the rest of what you're suggesting)

2) I have commerce sites so I don't care how many people visit when I sign up. I care how many people buy. "Visitors" cost in traffic, bandwidth, and my time. No "visitors" just "buyers."

Second part of the question: Probably not. Not unless it's an automated process and brings either, one-to-one ratios (one of what ever automated thing you want me to do to qualify -to one potential customer) OR unless a higher percentage of buyers results from the buyers visiting than the effort it takes for me to do whatever you want me to do to "earn" credits. Sorry, this is the old radio station WII-FM (What's In It For Me?)

Not automated? I probably don't have the time. I value my time highly.

3) 10k targeted users? $100. 10k targeted buyers? $10k. 10k UNtargeted visitors when I was promised targeted ones? You owe me $100.
    Last edited by mfarmerhi; Jul 29, 2001 at 23:59.
    Total Life Success - Don't give in. Succeed. (tm)

Total Life Success Forums - the Web's Leading
    Success Community™

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mfarmerhi, after reading the whole message i do agree that it does sound like a spam promotion program.

Although you may feel like it is some sort of Spam promotion program, I assure you it's not.

I am able to say that the program deals with end users web browsers.

And yes, I myself being an experienced webmaster, reading the part of their being a "100% return", I would think that's impossible. Yet, I have discovered a way to send targeted traffic to webmasters while keeping the quality of traffic very high, and with their being a 100% return to the advertisers site.

I currently cannot say how the 100% return is done, but in the end both the end user and advertiser get what they want.

Thank you for your comments!

Stephen Williams
    CEO - DB Co.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not Spam? Then I wish you the best of luck!
    Total Life Success - Don't give in. Succeed. (tm)

Total Life Success Forums - the Web's Leading
    Success Community™

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) Who on earth wouldnt!!

2) Probably yes...

3) If they were as targetted as my current visitors probably about $4000.

This really does sound to good to be true though, i hope i havent wasted time replying!
    SiteOptions >> Services :: Products :: Contact
    Developers of PHP, C++, Visual Basic, MySQL, and more!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [i}]lthough you may feel like it is some sort of Spam promotion program, I assure you it's not. [/i]

Telemarketers and timeshare sales people say the same thing.

I'm able to say that the program deals with end users web browsers.

Manipulating people's browser could get you into a lot of hot water.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is not true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok... Development is almost complete and everything should be up and running in 2-3 weeks. Right now the system is in Beta testing.

Lil_Red, I can assure you I am not a telemarketer and you will just have to wait and see to beleive.

Thank you everyone for your replies!

Stephen Williams
    CEO - DB Co.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    compfreak - i'm interested in how this is going to turn out..i'm skeptical at the same time. You seem to be coming up with several revolutionary amazing new products (none of which you will tell anyone about)

we'll see in 2-3 weeks I guess

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can only speak for me and my context, which is probably not representative of others here.

Statistic: fewer than 30 million people per week are on the Web, fewer than 70 million per month. Approximately 500 million people have everything they need to come to the Web whenever they wish; about 150 million of those never do - about 200 million come only when they feel some compelling reason and the overlap/underlap is people who come less often than monthly.

So what I would seek in Web promotion is to provide compelling reasons for those who didn't especially plan to be on the Web to come in specifically to look at my site.

I would want any one promotion to bring at least 5 million from North America, and at a cost well under $50,000 (one page-view of income at a $10 net CPM). I would want any one major market (top 200 ADI) geo-centric promotion to bring in at least 50,000 appropriate targets at a cost of less than $500.

Also, my demographic requirements are not one-dimensional.

If your new service can meet this elvel of requirement, we may want to be talking in a few months.
    _____/\/\arty \/\/inston

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the statistics above are a little old or skewed.

In the United States, there are 150 million Internet Users who spend an average of 4-6 hours online per week. 70% of those access the Internet from work but for the most part not on work related duties. In a lot of industries you can't do your job anymore without Internet Access whether it is to buy supplies, verify a potential customer's claims, or run a SDIC crime report on a suspect in a crime. Heck Wal-Mart even uses satellite transceivers and the Internet to re-supply its stores and transmit daily sales receipts.

Probably over 15 million in California have Internet alone. Granted I live in an mildly affluent area but we have Internet access everywhere from Internet Cafe's to the Library (over 150 terminals in 5 branches) to the local mall (10 Kiosks). This doesn't count the thousands of computers in our local schools, college and senior centers, the computers given to each teacher in the high school district on interest free loans or those provided through local rehabilitation and job training centers.

Yahoo alone gets 30 million unique people visiting their site a month. I know everyone on the Net doesn't go to Yahoo just most. They certainly aren't high on my list of destinations.

AOL has 36 millions customers in the United States alone. Another 80 million people use their ICQ service (granted there is probably overlap here). Earthlink/Mindsprint/Sprint has 6 Million. MSN has somewhere between 4-6 million. Prodigy about 2 million. Microsoft Games has 4.6 million people who play their games daily.

This is just one country. What about the millions for Europe and Australia? Or other countries.

Maybe the statistics above are for your region?
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting Wayne.

And from the stats i have seen Australasia reflects the usage of America (on a per person basis).
    The main thing is that connection speeds down here (atleast in NZ) are strugling to keep up...we are all on 56k modems, slowly people are starting to move to 128 or 256k dsl connections!

Of course for alot of sites (especially eccommerce ones) only the stats. for the US matter. But for services like MSN and ICQ people down here are lapping them up. I dont know exact figures all i know is that most of the students i meet have (and use) ICQ, probably about 1 in 30 that have computers dont have ICQ (until a few months ago i was one of them )
    SiteOptions >> Services :: Products :: Contact
    Developers of PHP, C++, Visual Basic, MySQL, and more!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mfarmerhi
    The whole question reeks of a post sounding suspiciously like a set up for another spam promotion program (ala' "StartBlaze")
    I've just launched one of those

It's targetted, well, all the code is in place to for the targetting, I just need enough users, the signup ratio of spammers:real paeople is about 8:1 though

Still I've got it all worked out - there is targetting and there is grouping, the groups are defined as

Group One - Sites with quality, original content, and that have few affiliate links and 0 popups

Group Two - MLM, Pyramid schemes, "Make a billion dollars while you sleep", too may affiliate links, popup windows, foreign languages, yadda yadda yadda

In a couple of weeks there should be enough sites in each category to turn on the targetting (as simple as changing 3 letters in one page) - a few months down the line there will hopefully be enough quality sites to turn on grouping - which is again an easy process and means spammers see spammers, quality siteowners see quality sites.

it's all there, it all works, and it's all cool it even has a frame with a banner ad that gets shown to anyone with a Group Two site, and there is no frame/banner ad for Group One.

It's something I've thought a lot about since finding startblaze, nomorehits et al and I think this is the best way to do it, the only possible problem I can see happening is that the Group One users get fed up of seeing MLM sites and drop out before there are enough people avaliable to turn on targeting/grouping. Fingers crossed they don't eh?

Jado.