User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question phpmailer: ANY MTA possible, smtp-question

Hey guys,
    in the phpmailer (http://phpmailer.sourceforge.net/) documentation it is mentioned, that the class can work with virtually any MTA provided.
    How do I do use ANY MTA though?
    Can I just modify the corresponding variable in the class and replace the (standard) sendmail path with the path for postfix for example?
    Does the class need a sendmail wrapper with all MTAs to work?

Another way of sending mails with this class is SMTP of course.
    I thought about using several SMTP-Servers at once for load-balancing while sending...but what if these servers have diffrent passwords and usernames...the class does not cover this issue, does it?

Thanks for your help

Cheers, Florian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't give you any answer but just an option. If phpmailer could not deliver what you need (like diff. password/user for multiple SMTP servers), you could always write a new class extending from phpmailer.
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey,
    thanx for your reply.

Of couse I could, but maybe somone already has experience with this sort of thing...

I could fix the SMTP issue by extending the class. What I can't fix though is the way phpmailer access the MTA. Unfourtunatley I'm not quite into the technical side of MTAs...so I dunno whether phpmailer needs a sendmail wrapper fox example in order to work with any MTA.

The strange thing is, that nowhere on the net there seems to infomation about these issues.

Cheers, Flo