SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Search Engine Books

Have any of you bought a book on how to get your site high in ranking on search engines?

If so, what book did you buy and has it worked for you??

Thanks guys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this doesn't really answer your question but I don't really think a book would be the best way to learn about search engine optimization.

Each engine is constantly evolving and adding new algorithms, filters, etc. Because of this I think your best bet would be to visit sites like searchengineforums.com, spider-food.net or searchengineworld.com to get up to the date information and tips on what has recently changed at the main SE's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with nflicanada, you'll most certainly have more up-to-date information from a website. http://spider-food.net/ is by a fellow SitePointer (JK_Bowman) and looks quite helpful.

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Subscribe to the SearchEngineWatch newsletter and read up on the latest goings-on at searchengineforums.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Gang,

... and thanks for the link, dominique..

SEO books are very hard to write for the reasons already mentioned. The rules just change too fast.

It's a strong argument for doing your research via the web in general - not just for SEO..

The newest and most authorative book on the subject of SEO is by Frederick Marckini (President of iProspect - one of the largest SEO optimization company in the world).

The title of the book is simply "Search Engine Positioning."

Mr. Marckini was also one of the guys who helped develop WebPosition Gold in it's infancy. That was before anyone knew what SEO really was.

Anyway, I read the book this past weekend. It was just released in May. As such, the content is fairly current.

There are over 500 pages in the book, and it covers all of the basic and mid-level principles. It also gives a comprehensive breakdown of each major engine and directory.

All in all, I think it would be a great time saver for someone just starting out in SEO or interested in mid-range SEO techniques. But you won't learn the advanced stuff here. For instance, you won't learn how to cloak - although the concepts are explained. And you won't learn advanced SEO techniques using layers, CSS, XML, etc... But for someone who needs a broad and solid foundation in SEO without spending hours upon hours reading hundreds of discussion thread forums, at a price of about 35 bucks it's a very good buy. IMHO

You can, of course, snag it at Amazon and Barnes.

Hope that helps!
    Editor, J.K. Bowman
    Spider-Food.net

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The PDF that comes with the purchase of Web Position Gold is very good and the newsletter from web position gold is great too.

The PDF is called secrets to a top 10 position I think.

It too is written by Fredrick Marckini and Brent Winters of 1st place software.
    Internet Marketing Made Easy
    My Marketing Pro