SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Linux Server Speeds

Hey,

I have a home network at the moment consisting of about 5 workstations maximum. I have a very old pentium 133 with 64mb of ram and I was just wondering what this would perform like as a server running linux for this amount of network traffic. It will only be used as a file, web or ftp server. The internet connection is through a router.

I would mainly use it for streaming movies over the network, so my other question is, will it be worth shelling out a little extra to put a gigbit nic in it?

Thanks
    -Ice

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found that Linux murdered my old 400MHz AMD K6-2 with 128MB RAM - it was swapping so much it destroyed two old Quantum HDDs in two weeks (I didn't want to spend any money on it, so my fault!)

In other words, you're gonna need a whole load more RAM!

Other than that it should be ok - slow, but ok.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may be able to get my hands on a 1.3 machine with 256 ram. Would the be adequate?
    -Ice

Drupaler bronze trophy greg.harvey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it would work. The problem I had was using 5 year old HDDs, the amount of swapping Linux did was shaking them to pieces. They were failing physically within days of install.

If you could use a 1.3MHz PIII (or something similar) with 256MB RAM it would work fine, but I'd still fear for the disk. If I were you I'd still invest in some RAM - it's not too expensive - and a second HDD. Use one disk for swap space and the other for storage and (a) your system will be more efficient and (b) you won't lose any data/have to reinstall Linux if the disk used solely for swap space dies on you. In fact, I would do the two HDD thing with ANY Linux install knowing what I know now. The distro I used was Fedora, FYI.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK. Thanks very much for you help!
    -Ice

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run my web server on an old 166Mhz box with 98MB of RAM and it works fine for one person (me). Anything else and I can see it crashing.