Thread: My community

Threaded View

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My community

Hi there.

Thanks Wayne for providing this great service!

I am finally plucking up the courage to submit my own community site for review.

It can be found here:
    http://www.mostlyamphigory.com/forums/

I encourage you to enter through the main site at
    http://www.mostlyamphigory.com/

The site contains satirical/humorous articles that are of interest to high school and university/college students.

The forums are for user submitted jokes, as well as a general discussion area.

Some things to consider:

- I wish to target this site to young people, probably students aged 12 to 26

- I am getting 96 unique visitors per day, 16758 page hits per month.

- I recently started an email newsletter. I would appreciate comments on the newsletter signup forms on my main site. Forum members are signed up by default and can opt-out at any time.

- Registration is currently not required for posting.
    People have said to me that when a bulletin board is new, to encourage people to post it is beneficial to allow posting without registration.
    Registration is required for one of my forums only, and for colour schemes.

- Compared to the rest of my site, the forums are more cluttered. They are also more colourful. Do you think this is likely to turn people off?

- I have recently implemented search engine friendly URLs on all of my forums and posts, and on the articles on my main site.

- I have programmed my own "email this page to a friend" features into the site. The links appear on every topic in the forums, and every article on my main site.

I'd appreciate advice on:

Low cost methods of promotion for my site.

Obtaining new subscribers and forum members.

Improving response to my forums. My stats tell me that a lot of my visitors are going in to read the jokes, and so I have placed links to some of the best jokes on the front page of the forums. However, the response rate is low.

Thankyou very much.
    Last edited by mmj; Jul 28, 2001 at 11:02.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff