SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IIS Installation Woes

Hello! I am a brand new member to this community. I researched the postings made over the last year in this forum in hopes that someone else had already asked my question. I did not find it and so here I am!

I use Windows 2000 Professional and I installed IIS. The folders are all appearing on my harddrive, however the test pages I run will not work. The following message appears: The Page Cannot Be Displayed. I have followed instructions given to a member with a similar problem whereby I input the address in my browser as both:

http://localhost/test1.asp

and also as http://myname/test1.asp where myname is the name of my computer.

Also note that my MMC does not work, whenever I try to open a file I get the hourglass forever and must do ctrl-alt-delete.

I have researched microsoft's site and many other forums, and sat in Barnes&Noble reading every book I can find, but to no avail. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI,
    Well I cant help U a lot, but I just installed Win2k Advanced server which has IIS installed bu default, and I get the same error messsages, some days it works other days it doesnt.
    I'm still working on the configuration of it, when I get it, I'll be glad to help U out.
    Try instead of localhost to put: 127.0.0.1
    that's if U r not on a nework, or U don't have a fixed IP addr.
    Hercules.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Hercules!
    Thanks for the quick response. I tried the 127.0.0.1 but alas this did not solve the problem either. I am connected to the internet via cable modem access so I am always online. I thought I better mention this in case it impacts the functionality of IIS. I am not on a network, I am using my own personal computer which is plugged into a replicator when I am at home.
    Thanks again!
    Sara

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What happened when you viewed http://127.0.0.1 ?

Did it show you an error message or did you view the default Microsoft welcome to IIS ?
    Padraic Lavin

Advertising Free Message Boards $5/mo
    Instant Setup. ForumCo.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a thought, but...

Is IIS actually running? Even though it is installed does not necessarily mean that the service is running...

One quick way to check is to Ctrl-Alt-Delete and click on the Task Manager button, then the Processes tab to see a list of services...is Inetinfo.exe one of them?

If not, enter your Control Panel, click on the Administrative Tools icon, then Internet Services Manager icon to start the server...

The error you are receiving makes it seem like this is the case, as opposed to a problem with your ASP page or the directory structure (like a 404 File Not Found error)...

Your connection to the Internet should not matter, in fact it does not even have to exist to view localhost or 127.0.0.1

Hope that helped...
    F150online- 102,000 users strong and growing...
    Ownersite.com
    - tools to enhance vehicle ownership

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Podge - I receive an error message (Page Cannot Be Displayed); no welcome screen of any sort.

Steve - thank you for the idea. I hoped this would do the trick and it made alot of sense to me. I myself thought the particular error message was strange and led me to wonder whether I had performed the installation incorrectly. When I ran the test page during installation, it appeared with no problem. I first tested with plain old HTML code, then created an asp page to test. Ever since, it has not worked.

Here is what the Task Manager says:
    inetinfo.exe 600 PID 00 CPU 0:00:00 CPU time 7124K Mem Usage

Thank you so much for responding, I'm encouraged! I always like to know the "why" behind a problem solution, it's not enough for me to just band-aid and move on. I appreciate your guidance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    U should use Ur own IP addr; ex: I'm connected to the internet via cable network (no modem, network card)
    so I do the following: http://192.168.0.31/iishelp (to display the iishelp page) or simply the ip by itself.
    I know that my server is running cuz I'm getting the following message: U r not authorized to view this page... Forbidden IP... server has a list of forbidden Ips and tis is one of them...

This error msg is very wierd since I'm the Administrator on my machine. and I certainly wont put my ip on the forbidden list

whats also wierd is that three days ago it was working

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try going to the Control Panel as I described and stopping and restarting IIS to see if that makes a difference...
    Ownersite.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Steve!! You are a genius genius genius! The restarting it via the Internet Services Manager did the trick. Okay, now that it works can you help me understand what exactly happened within the system? I know the steps I took but don't know why they worked. I hope there is not a "chronic" problem here, but maybe understanding why this particular solution worked will indicate that it was a one-time fluke or perhaps a problem that will persist until I fix something else. Thanks a million for you guidance!
    Sara

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in reality, there is no understanding why IIS does or doesnt work. there are like a million un-obvious settings that could be causing you trouble esspecialy if you need good security.

however, im guessing that it just wasnt starting the service properly or at all. the fact that the server wasnt responding at all (that is what you meant, right?) untill you restarted it suggests to me that it wasnt probly running.

few questions... do you need to restart IIS every time you load windows to make it work? or does it just work now that youve done that stop/restart routine once?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have started and restarted the IIS server a thousand times. and I checked the permissions and set them all to public. I also tried logging on as different users.
    I still get the same errors: when I put http://192.168.0.31 I get an internal server error. when I put http://192.168.0.31/iishelp I get that my ip is on a forbidden list.
    I have almost tried everything I know and still it isn't working. I know that the server is running cuz it shows in the running tasks and in the services. There was no error in the installation, I know that for sure...
    I'm getting frustrated...
    could anybody tell me whats wrong...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Dark Eye,
    I had a feeling it would turn out to be one of those mysteries. Ah well. I feel you are correct in saying the server was not running. I completely shut down my computer and started it up again, and IIS is still fine. However, there's no telling what will happen in the future!

Speaking of security .... what do you suggest?

I have been reading everything I can on the "Code Red Worm" lately. I checked the other postings in this forum too, but did not find any discussions on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been reading everything I can on the "Code Red Worm" lately. I checked the other postings in this forum too, but did not find any discussions on it.
    Regarding security, be as dilligent as possible with checking Microsoft's website for patches and updates to IIS and the Windows 2000 operating system. There will always be people out there that spend their time finding and exploiting security holes. If you are always running the latest and greatest then you minimize your chances of becoming a victim.

As for why IIS stopped, I am not sure. As Hercules stated, it could have been any number of factors that caused it. Take a look at the servers logs and see if there is any information there...by default, they should be in the System32\LogFiles directory of your system directory...
    Ownersite.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Steve

By security suggestions I meant, what are opinions on the "latest and greatest" tools? Until recently I worked for Fortune 500 corporations and they took care of all those necessities. Now I have my own business and want to cover all the bases (also known as CYA!).

I have been to Norton's website which led me to Symantec's site but I'm pretty overwhelmed. Here is the URL:
    http://www.symantec.com/press/2001/n010720a.html

Is this a product I purchase and install or is it a service that is ongoing?

I apologize if these are really mundane questions, I'm always learning!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well actually, by security i meant setting up your server properly.

if youve ever wondered why microsoft has this reputation of making insecure operating systems, well a lot of it comes from moron techs that think they are hot **** cause they got an mcse. they will usualy make big mistakes with things like permissions, which can be a real pain to get working properly (trust me! ive spent days trying to figure out the permissions on my dev. web server and i consider myself fairly profficient in windows 2000).

anyways, if this is just for your development system i wouldnt worry about it to much. let the people you buy web hosting from worry about it. theyll have security people that have gone to school for a few years and will actualy know what they are doing.

if you actualy want to learn about this stuff, there are lots of good books out there. maby you could hit the book store for a few hours and quickly skim through what they have... just to see if it interests you.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You think like I do! I use Barnes & Noble as a library whenever I get stuck. In fact, I had already spent quite a while in there on the question I posted here but could not find any books devoted to IIS and all the ASP books started Chapter 1 under the assumption that your IIS was installed and running properly.

I have truly appreciated the help I've received here at Site Point.

I figured out the Code Red worm situation this morning and just finished installing the patch. I had to install a service pack first, and then the patch; the process was not that bad and eeye.com even has a code red scanning tool you can use to make sure you're safe and patched correctly.

Good luck with figuring out your permissions, I wish I could provide advice your way in return for yours shared with me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hehe well i duno what they expect from us.... leaving all those comfy couches right in the middle of a sea of interesting books.

i think you might be able to find something included in a windows 2000 server book. im just guessing it would because IIS is one of the tools that comes with win2k server.

actually, i already fixed my permission probs (i think... i hope... heh). i just wanted to illustrate what a pain they can be to get right.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's Microsoft for ya I guess. It's amazing that a company as ingenious to create Windows maintains a website that is harder to navigate than any other I've visited. Truly a headache!

Thanks for the suggestion on a W2K book, great idea