User Tag List

Thread: Weird PHPBB bug

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weird PHPBB bug

Okay, I downloaded and installed PHPBB without any significant problems, but once I try to enter the Administration Panel, where I am presented with a login screen of course, I get a strange error. Well, actually no error, after hitting login, and double checking if my Username and Password are correct, the page just refreshes.

I am able to log in as a normal user, so could anyone help me on what could be wrong?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you log into the admin section, it will create a session and then refresh the current page with the admin index again.

However, your browser needs to send out the cookie once the admin page refreshes.

A few things to try:

1. Ensure that your browser is storing and sending cookies properly.

For phpBB, the regular user does not need cookies but I think the administrator does.

2. After logging in and the page reloads, try refreshing that page again and it might be replaced by the admin panel. Your proxy or browser might have wrongly loaded it from the cache the second time.

3. Ensure that your phpBB settings in config.php are correct.

For more help, I suggest that you contact phpbbhacks.com or phpbb.com.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mmj
    When you log into the admin section, it will create a session and then refresh the current page with the admin index again.

However, your browser needs to send out the cookie once the admin page refreshes.

A few things to try:

1. Ensure that your browser is storing and sending cookies properly.
    Yep, it does. I also get cookied on these forums, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Originally posted by mmj
    2. After logging in and the page reloads, try refreshing that page again and it might be replaced by the admin panel. Your proxy or browser might have wrongly loaded it from the cache the second time.
    Okay, I did that, but without any succes.

Originally posted by mmj
    3. Ensure that your phpBB settings in config.php are correct.
    I doublechecked that before posting here .

Originally posted by mmj
    For more help, I suggest that you contact phpbbhacks.com or phpbb.com.
    I already checked there, and there were a few threads about this, but no real answers. This seemed like a long shot, but worth a try.
    I will try an older version of PHPBB now, hopefully with more succes.

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Rafe,

I would say 95% of questions asked at my site get answered. So, it is worth a try. On config.php, play with the $cookiedomain, which includes leaving that option blank. I think the problem lies there.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I will have a go at your site as well then .

I only visited http://www.phpbb.com to get help on this matter, so let's see what your site can offer me . Anyway, I left the $cookydomain blank, just as the default option.

Thanks for the reminder that there are other phpbb-sites out there, that might hold the answer .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might like to try editing the set_session_cookie() function in functions.php

For instance, you might try changing the setcookie function so it only has the first two arguments, or you may like to set the time to $cookietime (replace the third argument with $cookietime).

I'm sorry I cannot help any further. My guess would be that your PHP or server is handling cookies in a slightly different way than some.

There are lots of user submitted notes on getting setcookie() to work on troublesome setups at this address:
    http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.setcookie.php
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean the functions.php of PHPBB right? Well, I wanted to change the line you mentioned, but I found out, it was just the way you described it. I think I am going to look for a new free Bulletin Board, to see if those also have problems.