User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Installing PHP on Linux

Hi,

I'm fairly inexperienced using Linux but I want to switch my development box to run on Linux for various reasons I won't go into. I have a question regarding the installation of PHP.

When you install PHP on Linux you download and unpack the source files. Then you configure the install, make and then make install to get it going. When you configure the install you give it a whole load of options such as --with-apache... --with-gd etc depending on the modules you wish to include.

My question is what do you do if you want to add additional modules at a later date. Do you have to do the entire process all over again?

Thanks
    It's not enough that we do our best;
    sometimes we have to do what's required.
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I do. Thankfully you won't have to run through the process with your web and database servers though. After a while the process becomes second nature. Your best bet at this time though is to compile PHP with everything you think you'll need, and more, just so you can avoid doing it over and over again.

Good luck,
    James

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or use a pre-compiled version - many linux distriubtions have prebulit binaries you can use which are usually configured with support for quite a few modules.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes binaries seems like a nice easy solution but a lot of people say they aren't as efficient as compiling from source. I find it hard to believe that in order to install additional modules you need to completely re-install PHP though!
    It's not enough that we do our best;
    sometimes we have to do what's required.
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, and by installing the binaries you're not always sure exactly what options have been compiled into PHP (not to mention it probably won't be compiled for your system architecture, although you probably won't notice the difference until you get used to your system). You'll get more familiar with the installation process after a few weeks, or months, depending on how much you install. After that it will be just like double-clicking that setup.exe file

Take it easy,
    James

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You just run ./configure again with the additional modules you want to add, you don't have to give it every module all over again. Basically I'm pretty sure it just adds the module to the php.ini configuration. Then you run make on the directory. It's not that difficult.