SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WYSIWYG Support for PHP: Nonexistant? Looking at Ultradev, GoLive, etc.

I've always used PHP/MySQL for database interaction. It works well, but I was forced to learn every code from scratch and the learning curve was initially quite steep.

Recently, I had the opportunity to use several Microsoft tools to interact with an Access database via ASP. It truly was a pleasure because it was so very easy to do - everything was accomplished via a GUI.

Apparently Dreamweaver and Golive and the other top web-development suites offer similar functionality. However, they don't seem to offer that functionality for PHP. PHP has been around for long enough that if they intended to offer it, they probably would have by now. PHP also seems to have become one of the top server-side languages on the internet.

What accounts for the lack of WYSIWYG tools to interact with databases via PHP? I can understand that Macromedia has always had a close relationship with Allaire that could have encouraged them to sideline PHP. However, I would see this is a distinct competitive advantage for the likes of Adobe - one that has not been exploited.

What are your thoughts on this manner?

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful News!
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This would be a nice thing, but just like WYSIWYG editors screw with your HTML and Javascript, I'm sure that it would write less than desirable PHP code. Think of how many ways there are to accomplish a certain task using PHP. Now think of how badly a WYSIWYG editor could botch the code given so many different possibilities.

By default Ultradev can work with ASP. I have heard that there is someone that is working to get PHP to work with it as well. Try this site...it was mentioned in a thread on the Macromedia forums even.

http://www.interakt.ro/products/PHAkt/index.php
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prowsej,

I would be interested in what tools you used to develop the database interaction with a GUI. I new and this would be of great help.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Spock
    Prowsej,

I would be interested in what tools you used to develop the database interaction with a GUI. I new and this would be of great help.
    Microsoft Access provides support for creating HTML pages that interact with Access databases via VBScript. Microsoft Frontpage also provides a series of wizards for completing common tasks.

I'm not incredibly proficent with databases and programming languages so setting up soemthing as simple as a survey where people complete a form would normally take me about 15 minutes after the HTML is completed. However, with Frontpage wizards, I can complete that task after answering about 10 pages of their wizard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with wizards and that kind of thing is that the html they produce is complete crap.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Abstraction
    The problem with wizards and that kind of thing is that the html they produce is complete crap.
    Agreed, but it works perfectly in Internet Explorer 4+ and Netscape4 which covers most of the market.

Sometimes things that aren't worth doing well aren't worth doing at all. Other times it's worth doing quick job to get soemthing out that will work for most people most of the time. It's a balance and I think there's a time and a place for both approaches.