User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

automaticly do stuff...

Hey all.
    Im not to sure if this is possible, but here it goes...

I have a database which acts as sort of an online coupon directory. companies pay yearly to have there company and their coupon listed in this directory.

Problem is now that there is over 500 people, we are having a hard time keeping track of who has to pay every month. Right now its all on paper and its a pain in the ars to sort through it all.

We decided it would be a good idea to have the script email some of the sales people when a particular company has reached its date to pay up.

I threw out two options
    1) Build another feature in the admin page to list all the companies due that month. To view it we would have to log in to the admin page and then go to the appropriate page to view the information. But the sales people shouldnt have to go through admin pages, they should be worrying about making sales. They shouldnt have to go our of their way.

2)360 days after the company signed up the script will automaticly email the sales people the appropriate information about that company. This results in time saved and the sales people will be sure to get the information when its needed

We wanted to go with option B

Now as far as I know, this can be done two ways, however I only know how to do it one way.

What I can do is every time the admin script is accessed, or even the site, it could email the sales people the information for that day. But that isnt too realiable. For example if no one went to the admin page or the site was down and no hits were generated, resulting in nothing triggering the mailing script.

What I want to do is have the server run the script every night at a particur time, say midnight for example, and will send all the information needed for the next day of work.

I have no idea how to execute scripts in such a manner. If anyone has any knowledge of this, or even if its possible, try to help me out a little

Thank you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CRON JOB

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ???
    and that would be?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is some documentation on cron jobs. This is assuming you are on *nix machine.

Basically when you set up a cron job, you specify when/how often you want it to run and it runs automatically at that time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I you're on an NT platform then a scheduled task would be the same thing.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes