User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

College/Drinking affiliate programs?

Hello there.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any affiliate programs relating to drinking or geared to college students? My site has a "drinking" theme and I'm also looking to start another college/drunks site in the near future I am not having the best results with the 2+ million pageviews/month that howmanywouldittake.com is getting using CPM ads served by fastclick because they obviously are not targeted at all. I do know of 1 affiliate program that I believe will sell very well, but the commision is only 5% and I think the price of the products is too high ( http://shotrock.com/ ). Those things are really cool, but I think they are charging too much and wont sell very well. Does anyone else know of any college crowd/drinking affiliates or perhaps just some more "entertainment" programs that you think will do well with text links that seem to do well on my site?

Thanks.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I'm sure alcohol companies would love to advertise on your site, you may want to try signing up with a different ad network, one that may actually put some targetted advertising up.

I don't know of any drinking affiliate programs, I wouldn't think there would be many. Affiliate programs usually gear towards online purchases and you wont be buying alcohol online.

However just an idea, you may be able to make some cool T-Shirts for your site. You could sign up at cafepress.com and design some T-shirts which you could then sell at your website. Might bring in a little extra revenue and it'd be free promotion for you.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I changed my mind.

Your site is not about drinking, its a hot or not site. I doubt you'll have any luck getting any sort of targetted advertising

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True. It is a "hot or not" site but with a drinking theme. I was really asking more about the site that I am working on, but I guess I shouln't really worry about that till its done. I agree with you about the lack of advertising in that category.

Thanks for the response aspen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotta go with Aspen on this one. I don't think too many companies want to be affiliated with a site using that theme.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An Am I Hot Or Not site is probably a good place to have ads for dating sites, wouldn'tchya think?

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about beauty products, books and kits about dating, sex products, etc.

Be creative, college kids love to use their credit cards, give 'em something to buy! Actually, I just thought of another idea, send me a PM through the forums or AIM and I'll clue you in.
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here

What's HTML?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just looking through the Commission Junction merchant listing and I found a merchant that might be popular on your website. Head over to www.cj.com and sign up, next run a search for "condoms" and join "Free Condoms". They pay $3 per shipment (free product) and they automatically accept publishers (to my knowledge), so you'll be able to set up your links right away.

There's quite a few other merchants available at CJ which would suit your audience. Check it out.
    Ryan Kuhle - A Proud Advisor - Got Questions? Just Ask!
    Get your website started for less than $20! Click Here

buried in the database shell (Washington, DC)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing with a 'hot or not' site is that users are so focused on what they are doing (rating members) that they really aren't going to take a second (first?) glance at any banner ads.

Follow a user's eyes and you'll see something like this:
    look at picture
    look at rating, click it

look at picture

repeat x 1000

So what you need to do are find ways of breaking that cycle. Maybe have a pop-up every 20 ratings. Or an intermediate page -- after 20 ratings have it display "please click a banner, you have rated 34,000 people but only clicked on this banner 2 times" on the page. Then when they click the banner you open the banner in a new window and in the background have the hot-or-not script start up again.

Maybe do adaptive-based ads; a user rates lower make a pop-up "These beauty products would really help that previous user, eh?" and show lipstick, eyeliner, etc.

Or if rated really high then show something like:
    "To see more buxom beauties, click this pr0n banner"

etc.

Possibilities are endless.

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by MattR

[snip]

Or an intermediate page -- after 20 ratings have it display "please click a banner, you have rated 34,000 people but only clicked on this banner 2 times" on the page. Then when they click the banner you open the banner in a new window and in the background have the hot-or-not script start up again.

[snip]

Or if rated really high then show something like:
    "To see more buxom beauties, click this pr0n banner"

etc.

Possibilities are endless.
    Matt, I had no idea you were such a lateral thinker. You've got your thinking hat on tonight. Just one thing though - most ad agencies disallow explicitly asking people to click the banner or inducing people to click a banner before gaining access to content. So you have to be careful about not letting your creativity cross into what the agencies would view as abuse of the system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just every 20 or so replace the picture with a banner, a large cube would work best probably. And instead of rating buttons have a button for them to click to the next picture.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all great ideas

All great ideas guys. Thanks. I will look into them all.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you'll do well with personal ads/dating programs.

I get good results with DreamMates and FriendFinder on my humorsites, and I'd think your site is much more targeted for these types of offers :-)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard Howard Stern plug your site this morning bud!

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My site is a site geared towards colleges students, and lets admit, all of them drink, I could advertise your site if you interested.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are right, Howard Stern did give my site a plug the other day and it is brought in loads of traffic. I dont think I have slept more than 5 hours in the last 3 days trying to speed up the code and make the site run faster. The day he talked about it we were getting about 300-400 people trying to get into it all at once. This may not sound like a lot to you people with big sites but our traffic jumped from around 4K to 30K uniques per day and our site was just not ready for it.

On that note, I am running FastClick pop-unders and they seem to be doing pretty well with the increased traffic making me $10-$40 per day compared to the $2 per day I was at before the Stern plug.

Btw: The clip is really funny. Howard has some funny lines about how friggin long my url is plus comments like "i dont know when the www went out the window." So if you are bored check out the crappy quality mp3 I got here: http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~nate/...e_com-Plug.mp3 (might have to right click and "save as" to listen)

I am working on getting some of the advertising ideas ideas in the posts here implemented into my site. Thanks for all your help.

And necrominator:

I am unsure if you were looking to advertise on my site or looking for advertisers on your site but my original post was me looking for afilliate programs and advertisers. Send me an email if you would like to talk more.
    Last edited by mpjetta; Aug 5, 2001 at 12:50.