SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Microsoft to Discontinue Java Support

I have been looking through the forum for a discussion on MS's decision to drop the JVM from Windows XP. If I've missed it, please point me to it. Otherwise I have a couple of questions and announcements.

There is a petition at http://www.PetitionOnline.com/mjava/
    There is an E-Week article at http://www.zdnet.com/eweek/stories/g...795569,00.html

From this article I gather that the Java Virtual Machine will be dropped from XP. Additionally, testing has shown that the MSIE does not recognize the JVM after and upgrade from Win9x, ME, NT, & 2000 to XP.

Does anyone know if this takes out the JavaScript abilities too? I have not seen anything addressing the JScript issue directly. My assumption is that JScript will go and JavaScript support will only exist if a user downloads the JVM from Sun and installs it.

As far as I know the Sun download is a manual download and install. If there were an automatic download and install something like Flash/Shockwave then I would see this as a minor problem. The problem of a manual download/install could make Java/JavaScript an unacceptable choice for web scripting. Plus, sites such as this one will have to be re-written to use something other than JavaScript. I have a number of sites that will need to be redesigned to remove the need for JavaScript. My clients will not be pleased.

Sign the petition listed above. I don't know that it will help but we can get a sense of the concern regarding the problem.

I am once again considering placing popupís on web sites that I design (with client permission) that warn of the XP/MSIE 6 problems. If there is enough support among web designers, I think this could force MS to change their minds.

Thoughts?
    Dynamic HTML - Is that a Frisbee based language...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The virtual machine is not included at install time on RC1, you can however download it from the windows update site.

javascript, I believe, is not part of the OS it is supported within the browser.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JScript is part of the Windows Scripting Engine, nothing to do with the Java VM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If JavaScript is part of the browser, will it handle Java classes, apps, beans, etc. or are those getting handled by the scripting engine or JVM?

While I think all the server side can be handled, I fear the client side will become a problem.
    Dynamic HTML - Is that a Frisbee based language...

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Java is handled by the Java VM, Javascript, or JScript as Microsoft calls it, is handled by the Windows Scripting Engine.

The Windows Scripting Engine will not handle any compiled Java machine code, applets, beans, etc, nothing. Users who browse to a website using Java applets will need to download the VM.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were Microsoft I would do the same thing....

Did you know that Microsoft is legally forbidden to ship or distribute the newest Java Kernals released by Sun? They are currently limited to releasing version 1.4 which is several versions old by now.

Upgrading to the newest version requires a download from Sun but the newer versions don't have native Windows support even though they have Native support for Linux, Solaris and other OSes. Sure it will run on Windows but only in sandboxed limited ways with no access to standardized API's or interface objects.

Even on a new machine with Windows 2000 and Java 1.4 included you have to download the newer Kernal from Sun just to get Java Applications to run.

I can understand why Microsoft doesn't want to waste limited Disc space on an old obsolete kernal that doesn't provide any benefits to the end user.

I am more upset about the J++ IDE going away as it was the best commercial IDE on the market. Oh well, I just won't be using Java for anything in the foreseeable future. Might as well use C++ anyway.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------