SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After 7 years I need SCJP certification.

I had MCSE certification. After 7 years I need Java certification as my job requirement.Where can I find the best training resources for this exam? I had seen ucertify is giving 70% discount on SCJP certification simulation. Give me some guidance for study material and to pass this exam.

throw me a bone ... now bonefry's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After 7 years of what ?

SitePoint Evangelist vikrantkorde's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vikrant Korde
    S Y S T I M E, Mhape,
    Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi AndyMc,

If you want to do SCJP certification better go for SCJP 1.6. This has a lot of value in the industy and there are very few people who have this certification.
    The prepartaion methodology is very easy and i have written so many tutorials to crack SCJP 1.6. You can also find hand written text at

sasanetworking.asia.

SCJP 1.6 Java console tutorial found at allaboutscjp.weebly.c**

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeez~ feel sorry for you. I'd never thought it would be a requirement... in any case be prepare to learn something you will never use at work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well ... I would guess that by now AndyMc either got the certification and the job, or different job for now as this post is over 4 years old... but anyway, I feel these certifications are pretty useless, this statement is exactly why:

The prepartaion methodology is very easy and i have written so many tutorials to crack SCJP 1.6
    I've never bothered with any certifications. I used to fixed computers back in the day and I never bother with A+ certification although I did the same job as A+ certified people and a lot of them I met weren't that good. Never bother with any Java certification and I've been doing Java professionally since 2004. Experience is so much more important than some certification that anyone who can memorize facts that
    you will never use at work
    can acquire (and can afford the fee).

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy rushiku's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Having studied for the SCJP, but never taken it, I have mixed feelings on the subject.

What it comes down to, I suppose, is that there is a major difference between knowing how to use Java and understanding how Java works. With understanding, one gains an insight on how to better use Java, the inverse is not so true.

I'd guess requiring an SCJP is an attempt to require 'understanding', but, as previously mentioned, this is folly. An SCJP certificate represents one of two things: the interest and drive to learn and understand Java and its inner workings OR the interest and drive to put another item on a resume. Which would you rather have working with or for you?

I'd say: drop the SCJP requirement and conduct a second level interview coding challenge to see if the candidate knows how to use Java, or if they understand it.

(Oh, and remember, candidates, that chair you're sitting on? It's over a trap door - use the wrong coding style and you sleep with the fishes)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well in theory I suppose the SCJP gives you a good understanding of the language but I would guess that at least 50% (if not 90%) of people who take the SCJP just cram and memorize these facts without actually understading them. This much was true about any multiple choice test I took at university. I generally tried to understand things but I found most people I studied with just tried their best to memorize things that would help them guess the right answer when the time come. I really don't find multiple choice tests to be a good measure of how well someone really knows the subject. It's just a timesaving device when it comes to correcting them.