User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there

Site is nice and clean... but I think it needs some more colour. Its too gray and bland.

It took me a while to work out what your site was about...you need to reword it a bit so your visitors know exactly what you are offering straight up, or they'll go away. One way you could do this is to add a 'Forums' heading at the top so immediately visitors know that is is a forum site, or bold applicable words throughout. You visitors will automatically read the bold words first.

The forums look great, but could use a bit of colour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should have structured topics. I go to the ghost forum and see a couple stupid generic posts. Main heading Ghosts, then Haunted Houses, Poltergeists, My daddy's tighty whiteys, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the basic design and the concept. But as everyone has said before, it just needs a little something else. Maybe it is some colour.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ugh. Normally, I go for the basic, uncluttered look, but this is just far too basic. The monochrome colour scheme and the sheer lack of decoration doesn't appeal to me at all. The logo is awfully simple and doesn't give the visitor any idea of what you're all about. I always thought that was the logo's job.

You get points for cleanliness and organisation, but I think that's all the positive feedback you're going to get from me.

I think you should provide some more information on Operation Truth on the front page. The short paragraph about truth reminds me of Fox Mulder from The X Files and does not exactly fill me with confidence.

"We know you have an opinion, and if your wife/husband/boyfriend/girlfriend has tried to change your opinions, don't worry, we won't tell them what's really on your mind!" For some reason, that sentence sounds incredibly cheesy. I get the impression that Operation Truth is a message board for obsessed chauvinists who just want someone to agree with them. That's not a good first impression, is it?
    POSTED WITH CARE BY JORDIE, WEBMISTRESS OF WWW.A-SPLODE.NET

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is too bland and boring. Plus the large blocks of text are just too much, when I open the site I just feel like I couldn't be bothered reading it.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have visited ur website......it looks great and interesting site.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dougadam
    Interesting site!
    7/10
    Thanks for the feedback!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little dull for me ... would be beter if you put some life into the site ...

Just my two cents ...

Directory Submission Service

Get your site submitted to SEO friendly directories:
    Manual work with Screen-Shots of each submission

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Keep the simplicity but just make it better by making the layout more intresting. You should add small hints of color and a bigger range of grays. I like the idea behind operation truth. I even played the guessing game. Good Job .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the layout is too simple. There are no highlights at all. In my opinion most of the visitors stop at a site when there is something that catches their attention. They are getting curious and start to take a look at the content. Perhaps you could add some graphics, or what about a poll?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Celdric
    I think the layout is too simple. There are no highlights at all. In my opinion most of the visitors stop at a site when there is something that catches their attention. They are getting curious and start to take a look at the content. Perhaps you could add some graphics, or what about a poll?

Some changes have been made to the sight it looks like. I like it much better now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice clean layout. However I agree the logo needs to be jazzed up and needs to represent what the site is all about. Another idea is to get rid of the stand phpBB navigation and website name and description you can do this in overall_header.tpl as im sure you know. the best approach would be to cut down the amount of links on the phpBB navigation and incorporate about 3 or 4 into your current navigation bar. I would recommend just keeping log in, profile, search and register. The other links arnt really that important. I like the idea of this site and its got some great potential content wise.

Regards

jon

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's got potential.

At the moment though the word "uninteresting" springs to mind. There's no contrast to the design, so it's visually uninteresting, this is particularly bad because you've opted for a very simple monotone logo.

The typograph is good, apart from those orange links, my is is pulled towards the recent topic list on the side which I'm sure is not the first thing you want me to be looking at.

Also the site has a minimum height, which makes the small amount of text on the front page look even less.

Lastly, ditch the standard phpBB icons for triangular shapes.

Fix those things and I think you'll have a much better looking site to suit your idea, which i think is a great one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its really bland looking. Making a site all one colour is never a good idea, especially not when the whole colour is gray, if you want to call that a colour

Adding colour to the design will be easy though. Gray tends to compliment all colours so just choose one.

You want it fresh, go for green or yellow,
    want it vibrant, go for red or pink
    want it cool, go for blue.

---

Try a little more time on your logo. What exactly does the triangle represent? If its important how about trying to implement it more with the text, say (for example) making it the A in operAtion?

---

You coding is VERY clean! Well done on this.

---

I dont know if the google ad is such a good idea. I "feel" you might struggle getting clicks because its so obvious. I also "feel" that you are putting it in an area where you can be a little more graphical with your design. how about putting a strap-line up there in a nice font, say something like "answering the bigger questions in life"

---

Good Luck

Wullie
    ASP.NET Freelance Web Developer
    Bored? Check out my photography folio at Flickr

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. We are going to try and make some changes to the forum to make it look a little better.