Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ukmortgageinfo.com

Hello everyone,

Any input welcome. I'm still learning.

www.ukmortgageinfo.com.

Actually I do have one specific problem with this design: I used to use clear:both to get my columns to both stretch vertically. It hasn't worked here as you'll see.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
    Beginner freelance web designer and media studies scholar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still learning? Wow - I'd say you got it down pretty darn well!

I also appears that you fixed your column problem. If not, I can't tell.

Excellent site. Pleasing colors, professional and very well organzied.

IMO, you've got a winner there! Great job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good to me. An excellent website you have there. Clean, simple, easy to navigate, and still has a professional look to it. I honestly do not see anything that needs work or to be changed. Good job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the site looks great! amazing design, especially the picture of the house. the blue box on the buttom with "Feedback | Creative Commons Licence | Contact |" etc. on it looks out of place, like it doesn't below in the design... maybe you can change that somehow. otherwise, the site design and site itself is great!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi.

1. Great logo
    2. I think the main prob with is with the layout - too much wasted blue space, maybe make the pics alongside the list on the fron page could be bigger
    3. I think a more white background would give it a more clean and corporate-ish feel and so more trustworthy as a information site. I think the colours at the moment make it look like a personal site done by an amateur rather than a web desin company - however eveything other than that does look professional
    4. The forum doesnt work well in anything other than full screen mode
    5. You should consider losing the space on the left and right of the screen as it makes it look a little empty. You could then have more space for more content - a newsletter or something to make the site sticky
    6. Why have a news page if you already have news in the column?
    7. Your H1 title font looks amateur-ish and doesnt do the logo (which I love so much) justice.

Overall - clean, informative but needs to be upgraded design wise to look like more professional
    UK SEO Company Free Site Report in a Cool Mind Map! Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hate to follow a trend but that is a great site, both in design practise and content (I'm looking to get a mortgage in the UK during the next year so the informaton is really useful - one for the bookmarks!)

You're got a nice clean layout that is easy to understand and the content is easy to read. The navigation is good although I might suggest you make external news links look a little different (I wasn't expecting a new website in a new window).

Great work though! Keep it up and you should get on fine in the future.
    Si
    Are you a Photoshop Jedi Master? Prove it!

Is funky house your bag? You'll love this!

Voice
    , eyes, ears, body and hands.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good site - but change the dimensions

Hi,

I'm a beginner too but I thought this was a pretty good site. There were three main points:

1) I had to use the vertical scroll bar to see the bottom of the page and yet the page was also quite narrow. I would alter the dimensions around a scale of 800:600.

2) The menu structure was quite clear on the home page but after clicking a link in the left hand side although the page stayed the same shape, the menu sturcure was gone and I had to use the back button to find out what was where. Keep a consisten menu structure on all pages.

3) I was no keen on the lareg blue logo top left which goes transparent when you hover over it. Mostly just too big and it might look better half the height.

4) OK one more! The photo at the top was blurred too much and then further out not blurred at all. I would use a gradient working towards a clear focus on the house in the centre.

Overall a nice site. Well done (-:

Laurie

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a pretty good site. Easy to read, easy to follow. A couple of things though.

The logo - In IE6 weird things happen when you hover. In Firefox the first time you hover the logo I get a blank white image, this is because you need to preload the image.

The menu - you should indicate which page the user is currently on. Makes things much easier.

The Footer - It looks totally out of place with the rest of the site. Try using a softer colour.

Increase the quality of your gradients as they aren't smooth at all. And for the side menu I don't think you really need a gradient at all. Maybe just a nice soft blue that doesn't contrast too much.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not a web designer and am new to reviewing sites so I am not sure whether or not my comments will be helpful. My browser is Internet Explorer

1. The logo+picture of the house seemed very big, so the title was almost in the middle of the page. I found this very confusing.
    2. The text explaining the two menus was too small for me to want to bother reading it.
    3. I thought the "Explore UK Mortgage Info" at top right was a button and tried to click on it!
    4. Unsure why there was a blank column on RHS. I can understand it might have been there for design reasons but it was a bit big.
    5. Had to scroll down to see some of main page
    6. Really liked Mortgage Purpose Menu with pics - very simple and clear.
    7. Would have preferred Explore UK Mortgage Info menu to be on RHS.
    All sounds very negative - not supposed to be! Generally looks good.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds to me like my right column is being pushed down underneath my left column, by what you have said manicmama, which is weird because i've used a 800 pixel fixed width wrapper if i remember correctly. I think i remember seeing that happen on one of the pages for some reason a while ago, but i didn't find out why for some reason.

It sounds like you have a very low resolution if the title is halfway down the screen.

Having come back after some time I agree about the footer - i think i will change that at some point - since mmelon and rpdl picked up on that.

Not preloading the logo was pure lazyness due to the background image and not being sure about the header - so i didn't want to waste time if it was not a keeper.

Since some have said great logo and other say rubbish it is probably due to resolution. I expect it looks neat in high res but looks maybe too basic in low res. I think i will keep it as it is but reduce its height.

I agree that it could look cleaner and more corporate with lighter, possibly white colour as you mentioned shalmuwn. I might change one of the colours. Perhaps the backgound to white with dark blue to white gradient on the right column - which i could change to a jpg to solve the poor gradient problem that you mentioned rpdl. Or maybe white left column - any suggestions?

I myself prefer the corporate, simple look but for some reason didn't choose it here.

I still havn't solved that problem with the clear: both not working like it used to when I worked in html 4.0. I used a quick fix by putting the right column bg in the wrapper div instead, since the left column is usually the longer. I think this might be a webmasterworld question for the CSS people. I just don't know how to do it.

Any suggestions?

One thing no one here mentioned that I have been thinking about changing is that there is no real top to the page - it looks like you need to scroll up more - some people have said.

If you read this manicmama I would appreciate more input on the the right column going below the left problem - as that is a big design flaw.

Thanks everyone for the reviews. If anyone wants me to review their site please ask.
    Beginner freelance web designer and media studies scholar.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a very nice looking site.. The layout fits very well to the subject. there are some minor changes I would like to see:

1: The logo:hover should have a preload image function

2: The footer is really out of place.. Doesn't fit you professional design at all

3: the "latest news" and "more news" section in right collum could use some designing as well. A little more graphic display would simplify the message

4: last but not least.. Have you thought about crating some submenus just below you autom picture?? Then it would be easier to navigate..

Best regards Alexander

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the autumnal tones in the top images clashes with the blue a little, although i have to say it is growing on me.

There is banding in the gradient on the left.

Also, the small images you've used on the links in the main content area are two small to be useful, perhaps replacing the photographs with a stylised symbol that will fit the site would remedy that.

The title for the menu bar is slanted, i'm not sure about this, i like the look of it but i'm not totally convinced it fits the style of the site because of all the clean lines, and the fact that the logo on the left also has that tab-look but it is straight.

Also, the footer as a solid, flat colour when the rest of the site has depth, layers and a bit of a curved out feel thanks to the gradient doesn't fit totally. It looks fine, but could be alot more customised i think.

Other than that, great work, especially if you are just learning as you say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, very clean and nice.
    How about putting the ALT text on your images etc.
    It helps visually impaired people when visiting the site and is captured by some search engines. Also it gives those unsure of clicking a descriptive reason to click.

I love the mouse over actions that commands a lot of changes on the site.
    Nice and good effort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice site publicsphere. Its very easy to navigate and looks good. I also foudn it very fast downloading which was nice.

A couple of points I would make are

1: Include a few more graphical elements in different pages, after a page or two it becomes rather repetative. Mabey a happy family, a for sale sign, a happy retired couple. Basically try and show "the dream" in some of your pages to accompany your good information.

2: I seem to find myself LOST in the right rather easy. Perhaps you do something to make the headers of the news items a little clearer. You clearly have some knowledge of colours as your mouseover colour would be a perfect suggestion. ie - make the news titles #CCCCFF before the mouse hovers over them.

3: Your coding is nice and neat, well done on that!

4: Change the title from gray. I think its really bland looking, the smae blue as the UK in the logo would be a nice choice. #304174.

Appart from those the site looks great. Good luck with it.

Wullie
    ASP.NET Freelance Web Developer
    Bored? Check out my photography folio at Flickr