SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Critique our Real Estate Site

Hey everyone, we recently gave our real estate sites a face lift, and could use your input. You can check out one of the pages at http://www.grabrealestate.com/lake-zurich-illinois/

Not quite all of the city pages have been redone. I personally think the new design is a great improvement over the old. For a limited time you can see an old website at http://www.grabrealestate.com/avon-indiana/
    The old web sites were just kind of bland, we tried to make them more attractive. This site might get updated soon, I personally don't have control over that, so critique soon!
    Thanks for all your comments, and especially if someone has advice regarding SEO work, that'd be great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bnizzle, that's an awesome looking site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it. It is very clean and professional, but I would like to mention a few things. I think the house in the header is fairly big and dark. It catches my eye very easily compared to anything else on the website. If that is what you want, then it is perfect. I just wanted to let you know.

I do not think you really need Buyers, Sellers, and Listers on there twice in roughly the same spot. That is just my opinion though.

I think the menu could use some contrast with the website as far as color goes. Use lighter colors for the background of the menu. Also, I think it would look better if the green titles in the menu looked like the green bar below your header.

Hope this helps.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The design is a definate improvement over the old site. I only have a few comments. I had difficulty staying focused on the white bolded text on the green background. Personally, I prefered the text layout on your old site.

I dont know if I was disapointed or shocked when I clicked on the listings link. I was not expecting to see it linked to a third party.

Navigating using the links on the right hand side, I had to double check to see if they were actually working. The fact that I had to scroll down at a rtes of 1027 x 768 to see if the page actually changed. Once I realized that there was different information, I then started scrolling down. I may be slow, but I finally got it.

My last comment, I would rather see the links to third party sites open in a new window. When I would view the other site I would close down the window and lose your site at the sime time. If you had them open in a new window, when they closed it, your site would still be there. (personal preference)

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually don't like to work with greens as they can be very ugly, but this one looks great! I wouldn't change a thing with the color scheme. It looks like your only using 700 pixels wide, though, and it makes the site look a bit squished cause you're fitting so much data in there. Maybe going to 750-780 would make it look even better.
    Peter T Davis

I buy forums - PM me if you're selling.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with petertdavis, green is a hard color to work with, but you deff. pulled it off. I think you have a winner with that design. Congrats.

SitePoint Evangelist webfreebies's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that the graphics, layout, and color scheme are great. But your copy needs a lot of work.

Bolded arial at 9pt? Looks amateurish. The justified text isn't helping any. I would text-align everything left and remove the bold. Bolded copy never looks good, IMO.
    Retro-Ads.net- vintage ads from the 20s-80s.
    NYC-Pics.com- free photos of NYC

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Nice job on the SEO!

I would have put more contrast in color on the site, but that's just me -- I like a lot of color. If you're happy with it and the client's happy with it, it looks like you have an excellent site there!
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mozilla firefox 1.5 BETA, windows xp, 1280X1024

nice job overall but i would like to mention i think the site is pretty dark and there is quite a lot information on the frontpage. (more then you need?)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your site since it's so clean and easy to navigate.

There's a lot of helping information at 'a click away' which is great.

Also the site loads pretty fast and has a lot of info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    Good start. My opinions:

Top pic looks a bit...drab. Other house pics you have are brighter and more colorful. The overlapping dark grad to highlight "Real Estate" adds to the darkness.

I'm confused with the navigation. Link names are repeated; once in what looks like the "main" nav near page top, and again in what looks like the "general info" area - and those similar links link to different pages. I would put all the navigation/main links at page left, with content at right. How conventional, I know...

In the right nav, bg color for "Real Estate Tips" seperator is the same as for the links "Site Map" through "Resources". Why aren't those links' bg color green like the rest? What I'm looking for is color consistency in the right nav - header links all the same color, seperators different. And shouldn't it be "Real Estate Tip"?

The header "Lake Zurich Real Estate Guide" - is it right-justified because it's the header for the right nav? Looks that way to me, but I'd expect it to not be part of a full-width bar element, or overhang the left edge of the nav area below. I think it needs to be where "Looking for Information?" is, and drop that text, ( I think most people will know what a guide is). Plus that light bg color for that text area draws my eye too much.

Use of drop shadows below the upper horiz elements - too many. Looks like a color-coded "flip book".

Where's the home link? The big house isn't one. The JustGrabIt logo at top should be a link as the one at page bottom is, and they are the site presenter.

Featured Realtor takes up too much...real estate. I might consider moving him to...page right! Part of the reason is content is below the fold at 1024x768 and needs to move up so I can see it change when I choose links, and all the static content above isn't helping.

The MDS site you link to - woa! This is a good example of a partner site who's "look" doesn't reflect well on yours. Maybe you can pop up a javascript alert like "caution, you are about to link to a page designed by a third-grader". Sorry... a third-grader with no design sense.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything is good apart from the fact there are at least 7 areas which serve as menus and you can't increase the text size without breaking the design.