SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Targeted E-Mail Promotion

Hello FORUM,

do you think targeted email promotion still work?
    If yes, what lists you'd suggest?

Thx
    NicB
    Free Mp3 Download and bonuses:
    http://www.nicolaboschetti.com/

SitePoint Zealot Jason_Therrien's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy!

In my opinion, targeted email still works IF you build and use your own lists. Lists that you buy are usually scams and filled with too many junk addresses.

Building your own lists take awhile, but I belive that your return on them is much higher than buying an unknown list.

GOOD LUCK!!

Jason
    www.SmartWebBusiness.com.
    Where "smart" businesses learn about the Web.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    email advertising performs much better than banned ads. Just make sure its a reputable list. Don't spam.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never, ever, ever spam! Not only does it throw your credibility out the window, your ISP may cut your connection, leaving you out to :ahem: pasture.

My company uses targeted email advertising. It doesn't work as well as they say it does, but that may be that we are not targeting the right people or our copywriting just plain stinks. WE have our own list of 20K that we sedn a newsletter to and once a month we outsource a direct e-mail campaign. We do show a significant increase in sales, but the returns of 5-10% that some companies claim is more like 1-2% in my personal experience.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by aspen
    email advertising performs much better than banned ads. Just make sure its a reputable list. Don't spam.
    Any suggestions where to purchase reputable lists?

Had2enter
    No matter where you go, there you are!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by had2enter

Any suggestions where to purchase reputable lists?

Had2enter
    PostmasterDirect? You only should send to people who specifically have applied to receive offers, do not send it to unknowing people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any mass emailing, whether you do it yourself or out-source it, opens you up to charges of spamming.

Personally I think it's BS. Direct snail-mail marketing is legal and accepted so why not email?

But that's the way the world works right now so you take your chances.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by jaiem
    Personally I think it's BS. Direct snail-mail marketing is legal and accepted so why not email?
    When companies send direct mail, they are funding our postal system, and they are paying for the mail they send.

When companies send spam, they most often find an open relay and steal someone else's bandwidth. Spammers do no research to find out their target market, unlike direct mail marketers -- they simply send it to every single email they can find.

As annoying as snail mail junk mail is, it's not comparable to spam. Spammers cost you, even when they're advertising to you. Direct mail companies pay for the printing and sending costs. Without direct mail, we would pay much more just to send a simple letter. Without spam, we would be paying much less for our Internet access.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by qslack
    When companies send spam, they most often find an open relay and steal someone else's bandwidth. Spammers do no research to find out their target market, unlike direct mail marketers -- they simply send it to every single email they can find.
    So, for example, if say a golf company goes to a golf website and offers to buy the site's newsletter list for a promo emailing, even though it's targeted emailing it's still spam? (by your definition) Seems like they researched it to me.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, for example, if say a golf company goes to a golf website and offers to buy the site's newsletter list for a promo emailing, even though it's targeted emailing it's still spam? (by your definition) Seems like they researched it to me.
    That's where the little checkbox on most signup forms comes into play "From time to time we may send you offers from affiliate companies blah blah blah, yadda yadda yadda" - I'd imagine you could approach a site like that and buy a list of their members who have checked the box and wish to recieve emails from related companies, otherwise you'd probably get into a bit of trouble

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jado,

Ah!

But if I were to buy a list from such a site that does get the permission of it's signups and I send them a targeted message, they (the receiver) has no clue wherer I got thier email addr from! So they can still yell "Spam!"

Catch-22!

I'm not trying to bust chops. Just pointing out 1) It's unfair to be able to send targeted snail mail but not email and 2) Even with all the permissions in the world you have no protection from accusations of spam. Just imagine if snail mail worked the same way....

SitePoint Co-founder Matt Mickiewicz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jado,

Ah!

But if I were to buy a list from such a site that does get the permission of it's signups and I send them a targeted message, they (the receiver) has no clue wherer I got thier email addr from! So they can still yell "Spam!"

Catch-22!

Not necessarily... If the email identifies its source, you shouldn't have a problem.

"You are receiving this email message from Golf.com because you checked a box saying that we may occasionally send you special offers from our partners and sponsors in addition to our Golf Tips monthly newsletter. If you no longer wish to receive these emails, blah blah blah"
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder
    SitePoint.com - Empowering Web Developers Since 1997
    Follow me on Twitter.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Email/address/verification/spoofing

I do not know whether this question really belongs to this thread but here is my question. For effective target marketing and to be able to know the socio economic profile of an emaill address holder.

1.How do i know the geographical location of an email address holder. At least this trivial thing prevents targeting a campaign to an inappropriate audience.

2.Can people direct me to online resources likely to be of use in knowing the real identity of an email account.

3.I tried already metronet and four11.com but to no avail.

4.This will help to evaluate the chances of spoofing.

Thanks a lot.
    fash

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI, I send out ads everyday to our network of 25 ezines over at sodamail.com and the more targeted my ads can be to my readers, mostly women, the better response I get.

I have known these readers for over 2 years, and I think that is a big help, they have trust in the ads I do put in and that is why they will click on them.

Please feel free to email me if your market is mainly women

thank you, and good luck

merle
    Merle
    www.recipes4learning.com
    Free Recipes 4 Everything!

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very many thanks for your kind response but be aware of the following points.

1.This is purely for routine verification purposes. Just to know/distinguish between spoofing and real potentials.

2.My markets are not mainly women but my decision to verify the source of an email address is to be able to ascertain the real authenticity of an email proposal.
    fash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just posted something about this in a new thread.

http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=34875

- Ravi