SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any familiar with HierMenus? I understand this to be one of the best menu scripts?

I'm told that HierMenus is one of the most compatible freely available menu scripts available. If you know of a better script, please let me know. Hiermenus isn't user-friendly in the least, but I've made some headway in implementing it with my site as is seen by the following page:
    http://rideau.prowsej.com/main/index.php?page=200

This is a question about a specific issue that I'm having implementing HierMenus 4.13. It's not a bug, it's just something that I don't know how to do.

However, I'm having the following issue:
    1. How do I individually adjust the width of the "cells"? I am only using images for my menus. The images are all different widths. However, as can clearly be seen at the page, the menus are not adjusting to the width of the images. With short images, there is much empty space to the right of them. Long images are being cut off. I want each image to be immediately next to the last so that there is no gap in between.

In sum:
    - I have put the code for Hiermenus on my page
    - I want my menus to be entirely made out of Images
    - I do not want any gaps between each image
    - Currently, the menu script is cutting off longer images and leaving too much space for shorter images (See URL above)

- I assume that I either have to explicitly specify the lengths that want somewhere or else turn on an option somewhere which would allow the menus to autosize to their contents.

Thanks. If my descriptions aren't clear, I'll try to expand upon them.

- Joshua Prowse
    Rideau High School Student

Procrastinator Extraordinaire lucas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey,

i've implemented version 3 of the hiermenus on my site: http://www.psitanksdev.com . i'm waiting for version 4 to be complete before i upgrade.

i'm curious, why do you need to use images instead of text? text will be much faster and there wouldn't be to much of an appearance change with it as opposed to the images.

on my version of the hiermenus, you set the width and cell padding of each menu manually. i'm not sure where you would change it since the two versions are nothing alike. i suggest going back to dhtml.com and looking through the columns to find out how to change them.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only reason that I'm using images is because I want a particular font for my menus to go with the design. Any of the standard fonts that come with a computer would have been too wide, I'm using a 'condensed' very of the font.

I looked into using downloadable fonts, but they aren't widely supported enough. The person who did the layout comes to this from the print world and is very particular about the design being "just-so". I don't mind doing it because I'm learning a thing or two about automatically generating images via PHP and a program like Imagemagick ...

I emailed one of the contact people for the script and was told that what I was trying to do wasn't possible at this moment.

> Joshua,

Hi!

You cannot have variable width menu items.

possibly in the future.

regards

peter

> This is a question about a specific issue that I'm having implementing HierMenus 4.13. It's not a bug, it's just something that I don't know how to do. If there is a place for installation
    > questions, such as a messageboard, please direct me to it.
    >
    > This is the page that I'm attempting to implement the Hierarchical Menu Script on:
    > http://rideau.prowsej.com/main/index.php?page=200
    >
    > My menus will be entirely composed of images. The images are of varying widths. I want each image to be immediately next to the last so that there is no gap in between. The way I currently have
    > the menus set up, I am using the width property to control the width of the entire top-level menu and then that width is evenly divided over each menu item.
    >
    > In sum:
    > - I have put the code for Hiermenus on my page
    > - I want my menus to be entirely made out of Images
    > - I do not want any gaps between each image
    > - Currently, the menu script is cutting off longer images and leaving too much space for shorter images (See picture)
    >
    > - I assume that I either have to explicitly specify the lengths that want somewhere or else turn on an option somewhere which would allow the menus to autosize to their contents.
    >
    > Thanks. If my descriptions aren't clear, I'll try to expand upon them.
    >
    > - Joshua Prowse
    > Rideau High School Student

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't need the menu's to go more that 1 submenu deep, take a look at the menu's here:

http://hem.passagen.se/dred/script/index.html

The thing I like about them is that they are compatible with NS4 and up, IE and even Opera, as well as being spiderable by search engines.

I use them on 2 sites and I love them... very easy to alter to suit your needs.

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinon, CoolMenus are superior to any other menu script I've seen. It supports NS4>, IE4> and also opera, I belive, and can have images, infinite submenus AND can be in a separate frame if you like. The man, Thomas Brattli, that writes it, is a bloody DHTML god!

Oh, and it's totally free, too. You can find it here:
    http://www.dhtmlcentral.com/coolmenus/examples/
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and I forgot - you can customize EVERYTHING. Menu width, menu color, submenu color and width, and I even think that you can customize individual menu items. Not sure, though. It's architechture makes it easy to generate dynamically, too!
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com