SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I HATE Flash with a vengence, in fact, The first plugin I installed in Firefox is a Flash blocker.

I went in and browsed this site, and of course let flash work. I must say that this is one of the very few times that a flash site has really hit the mark. You have done an excellent job, and it really does show that you put several months worth of time and effort into it!

Minor comment, add alternate navigation and it will be even better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow,really nice site there
    Could You tell where you learnt all that flash?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that RRWH, good to hear. I must say I'm not a massive flash fan myself! My own site (which is getting closer now!) is purely XHTML/CSS. It just seemed the neatest way of displaying the galleries and my friend wanted the flash navigation after looking at other sites. I figured it wouldn't be too bad if I kept it simple and fitted it in well. As for the extra nav, I'm on the case. Somebody else has already mentioned it and it's on the to-do list, which is getting bigger by the minute - so many little tweaks to make! What do you think, extra nav across the bottom or the top?

mastidude - I got hold of flash and went through a few of the tutorials/lessons in the help section to get the basics. Then I bought a copy of 'Foundation Actionscript' (friends of ed), great book, although I still haven't finished it! My main source of info and help has to have been here, on the internet. I've been through loads of tutorials on site's like flashkit.com, actionscript.org etc and many more (they'll all be on my links section when it arrives). This sounds really corny but - I'm not sure I could have managed it without the constant help here at sitepoint. It's by far the best resource I've found.
    "Everything should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler" - Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that keeping the text nav small - around 10px font size and at the bottom would work best with the rest of the site.

Normally, I would suggest something bigger, and not at the bottom, but in this case, I think it would detract from the rest of the site.

Lets see what others have to say as well on that score.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As said before, the sound on the site could be an issue. You have explained why this is to stay on though...

I think that it is a good looking site too, great work for a first site.

The thing that I always look at is whether or not the site is compliant with w3c web standards. Many argue that this makes search engine spidering easier. If you are going to define the doctype then you should try and comply with it almost there though.

Nice use of css. It is a little compact and hard to read though.

A fair amount (30 something %) still view the web in 800x600, you should always try and not let the horizontal bar appear at that resolution.

Hope this helps...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wineo - I know the flash bits are causing some problems with the validation but I'll get around to that, and there's a problem with the multimap link, on the contacts page. Are there other things? Could you let me know what.

I've just got used to working with my css like that so I'm not scrolling up and down when changing bits. And the site did originally fit in the window fine until they decided they wanted the music and a links page, at the last minute. I really couldn't be bothered to re-do anything so I just tagged them on the outside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yes, that explains the two links outside the design... that is ok, I hate viewing pages at 800x600 anyway. I think that it is time that the internet moves onto the next resolution ;o)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by obliquegeek
    Thanks for that RRWH, good to hear. I must say I'm not a massive flash fan myself! My own site (which is getting closer now!) is purely XHTML/CSS. It just seemed the neatest way of displaying the galleries and my friend wanted the flash navigation after looking at other sites. I figured it wouldn't be too bad if I kept it simple and fitted it in well. As for the extra nav, I'm on the case. Somebody else has already mentioned it and it's on the to-do list, which is getting bigger by the minute - so many little tweaks to make! What do you think, extra nav across the bottom or the top?

mastidude - I got hold of flash and went through a few of the tutorials/lessons in the help section to get the basics. Then I bought a copy of 'Foundation Actionscript' (friends of ed), great book, although I still haven't finished it! My main source of info and help has to have been here, on the internet. I've been through loads of tutorials on site's like flashkit.com, actionscript.org etc and many more (they'll all be on my links section when it arrives). This sounds really corny but - I'm not sure I could have managed it without the constant help here at sitepoint. It's by far the best resource I've found.

Thanx I will check it out!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very well done for a 1st site, I don't like flash, but yours works really well. Ditto on the music, very amateurish.

Well said:
    "Nice site. Obviously you don't subscribe to the "you don't have to get it right, just get it going" philosophy."

Harold

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have seen ur website.....it looks great for me

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I'm a newcomer who doesn't know much about flash or the techie side of writing so I can only give my visual impression. If I had to make comments they are only minor.

I agree music is not cool.

I presume the site it optimised for relatively low resolution. The only trouble with this that displaying the gallery shots within a small window and giving them a big frame means the actual pics are tiny. Now visually this looks very cool. but if the punters are interested in the art work they might want the option of looking at something larger. Could you could put in a link on ear picture to open a full page pic? Just a thought. I do realise that in some ways this would detract from the overall 'tightness' and consistency of the design which is very impressive.

This is nit picking ..... but when you mouse over some of the text in the right hand window and the text colour changes, there is also some movement of the text, which makes it look kess professional and is I imagine easily remedied (as the text above and belwo seem fine).

I thought your site was great. Well done!

Laurie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lslater - I have been meaning to get around to putting links to bigger images but I just haven't got around to it yet! Which page is the 'moving' text on? Can't have things moving that shouldn't.

And a big thanks to everyone who has commented.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By moving text, if I recall, means the text which goe form a normal state to a bold one, on hover. That's not usually a good thing. That said, though, you can pull it off by adjusting letter-spacing. Do it right and the word doesn't "move" it just gets bolder.

Mike

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Wow, very nice. Wanna share any of your web design secrets.

Roni

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just check this oput again and noted a serious issue with the music that you will want to address:

Turn the music off, then load a new page and it plays again and has to be turned off again. That is a drag.

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Green Beast - next time I'm refusing to use music!! Any ideas how I can turn to music off once and keep it off? It's loading a new flash music player for each page so I'm not sure what I can do. And yes it's a drag and the music gets horribly annoying.

roni05 - I wish there were some secrets! Tutorials and time!

I've been looking through the site stats and there's lots of 'non page hits'. Anyone know what these are?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by obliquegeek
    Green Beast - next time I'm refusing to use music!! Any ideas how I can turn to music off once and keep it off? It's loading a new flash music player for each page so I'm not sure what I can do. And yes it's a drag and the music gets horribly annoying.

roni05 - I wish there were some secrets! Tutorials and time!

I've been looking through the site stats and there's lots of 'non page hits'. Anyone know what these are?
    I don't. I'm not a Flash guy but I'll give this thread link to a friend and collegue Jim Martin of James Martin Design. He'll probably know.

Mike
    Last edited by Green Beast; Oct 21, 2005 at 09:28.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what my friend wrote:

yeah... quite simple actually.... he's got an html site with flash elements... not an actual flash site. He uses flash for both the nav and gallery, but the body text below the navigation is html. To solve this problem with the flash mp3 player continuing to load, you can do a number of things:

1. have 2 version of the mp3 player. on the index page, load the player with the player's value set to play on open/load, and on subsequent pages load the 2nd player with player values set to off on open/load.

2. Get rid of different pages all together and make one all encompassing 'flashindex' file that you will load external data into for your different pages. Instead of having different html files, you will have one html file with the main flashindex file loaded into it, and then the other content for the pages will be loaded into the flashindex through external .swf file through an "empty movie clip". Getting back to the player now: load the player as one of the external movie clips into your flashindex file. That way, when your user turns off the player, it stays off (because when you click on the nav btns youre not loading all of the elements on a totally new page, youre just loading the elements that you need for than page ei - the text, and the gallery objects)

3. set up the nav swf file that you have now to include the player, and load your html txt into a frame. That way again, you will have the nav swf on the same page at all times and will not restart playing every time you load a new page.

4. get rid of the sound control all together and enjoy youre nicely designed site

If you need more help, I will be happy to talk to you. Remember, dont hate the development software, its not doing anything you didnt distinctly tell it to do... The key is to realize this fact and start developing viable solutions.

good luck!

PS>> feel free to check out my site, as it highlights what I am talking about with a flashindex file that other swf are loaded into.