SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist webfreebies's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sites/ services of yore you reminisce about?

Just curious-- are there any sites from the past (no longer exist) that anyone tends to reminisce about-- whether negatively or positively? I mean, in television and radio, there are "Golden Oldies." Are there Golden Oldies for the internet-- y'know, those sites where people sort of sigh and go, "What happened to that site?" or "Man, it was great while it lasted?" or "Man, I hated that stupid site!"

In case you're curious why I'm bringing this up, I'm thinking of an idea, where I would do a *write up* of old sites-- history, short bio, and *eulogy*. These sites would be from the extremely popular to the somewhat popular (Old Hamster Dance page, etc.). It would be sort of a "Remember When..." type of thing.

To give an example of what I mean, Old Napster would be an obvious choice. I never really used Napster, but this was definitely one of those sites/ services that people *still* have strong feelings about-- both positive and negative.

Some more sites:

Etour
    Scour
    I-Drive
    Freei.net
    Coolboard
    Hecklers (!!)
    Xoom
    Cybergold
    Flooz
    I-Syndicate
    Themestream
    etc., etc...

So... any takers?
    Retro-Ads.net- vintage ads from the 20s-80s.
    NYC-Pics.com- free photos of NYC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scour, definitely!

I also miss what darkness.com used to be. It's a forum and community now, but it used to be a writing site, much like DeviantArt is now. Unfortunately, it's not even close to how it used to be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of years ago you had a site called stomped.com, they had al kinds of games/computer hardware news, i visited that site daily. But they changed their site and became a internet cafe or something like that. It doesn't even work anymore now.

SitePoint Evangelist webfreebies's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherID
    Scour, definitely!

I also miss what darkness.com used to be. It's a forum and community now, but it used to be a writing site, much like DeviantArt is now. Unfortunately, it's not even close to how it used to be
    Ah--Scour! *sighs wistfully* The first thing I ever downloaded at Scour was an .mp3 of "The Little Rascals" theme. That was such a cool site. It got done in by the whole "P2P/ let's take down Napster!" fervor.

Re: Darkness, I don't really know much about this site, but I feel your pain-- it really sucks when sites change formats, because something essential always gets lost in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijmen
    A couple of years ago you had a site called stomped.com, they had al kinds of games/computer hardware news, i visited that site daily. But they changed their site and became a internet cafe or something like that. It doesn't even work anymore now.
    I just checked out "Stomped" on the Wayback Machine. It looks like it got bought by the internet cafe sometime in January 2002. Ooh, I hate when that happens to a site, especially when it doesn't warn you ahead of time

Okay, so that's two sites... Darkness.com and Stomped! Any more takers?
    Retro-Ads.net- vintage ads from the 20s-80s.
    NYC-Pics.com- free photos of NYC