SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Justice is served for a logo thief...

Just wanted to post this publicly since I know alot of people here had a hand in this.

Several weeks ago a logo design was taken from a logo contest and used without compensating the owner (Nrak). After a few emails from myself and many many more emails from countless other people directed at the site owner, the host (GoDaddy), and who knows who else, it appears that the site has been suspended.

Just goes to show that copyright infringement is serious and some hosts will take it very seriously. It looks like enough evidence was presented to get something done, and I, for one, am really glad to see that this has been resolved to some degree.

If your work is ever stolen, take action. I think this case proves that you do have the ability to get things done when your intellectual property has been stolen and used without your permission.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's really good to hear..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember this. I'm glad they shut the site down.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear they take these things seriously

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's good to know that some hosts are willing to go out of their way to stop this kind of thing. A lot of hosting companies, on the other hand, would probably just let the infringement stand rather than giving up a customer.
    -- Jeremy Maddock
    SEOMix.com - Search Engine Optimization Tips
    My Blog - Business, tech, and politics from a webmaster's perspective

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WealthStream
    It's good to know that some hosts are willing to go out of their way to stop this kind of thing. A lot of hosting companies, on the other hand, would probably just let the infringement stand rather than giving up a customer.
    It's probably becomming too much of a risk to hosting companies. Why take the chance of being sued for a site that probably generates a couple bucks per month for them? This case would have never even gone that far, but some cases do, and I guess the hosts know that it's worth it in the long run to just shut down a site, just to be safe.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the host has much more to lose than just money... according to the DMCA they are required to take the site in question down. If not, you can just go to their upline provider (and every host has them) and in some instances the entire host will be shut down if they don't comply.

The DMCA is powerful stuff... some of it is definitely being misused but I have to say in terms of internet copyright violations it's spot on.