User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

motivating myself

Hi guys,

I wish I could solve this problem by myself, but I obviosly can't, so I'm asking you for your help. I registered to this forum to learn and ask for help in web development while I was trying to start (and eventually finish) a project I had in mind for long as 6-7 months. It was a CMS written in PHP, which I was hoping to make a killer one. But that's not the reason of this thread (or it is, but partially). The main reason I got into programming was money. I thought that if I would make a good product I might be able to sell it well and gather a nice sum of money. But that's not enough to get something started. To me it seems like it's a passing thing, learn and forget, do and regret. I don't find programming that appealing, let aside making a serious project. I've always found other things that kept me interested, and computers where one of that thing. But spending 10 hrs a day computing made me sick of them. The only reason I wasted time around was because I was forced by boredom. I had nothing better to do at the time. And I still don't.

I've always been pasionate of art and designing things. Also I've got a abundant and rich imagination and writing storylines (fantasy mostly) seems to be a strong point in me. Somehow I feel that if I take the programming path I would loose those things, and I've always been fond of them. So as I've said, boredom forced me to use computers most of the time. Gaming seemed appealing until a thought occured to my mind: hey, I could be wasting all this time making something useful, helping myself and others, like programming a commercial app or something similar. Ofcourse games are still useful but not something you would do your whole life. Small doses of it is good, boosting productivity and well being. So here I am, deciding what should I do with all this time, tied to a 3 year old computer, trying to free myself from it.

My heart says one thing, while my mind says otherwise.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of unrelated questions:

- are you having a midlife crisis?

- what are your most marketable skills?

- do you have a need to earn a certain amount of money?

- do you have people who are dependant on you?
    work: revs | ecru
    reviews: films | mp3s
    projects: Glastonbury Tor | London IT support

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry, but you cannot be a programmer unless you really like it. It's a career that completely depends on an insane level of interest and dedication. Focus on your creative skills instead.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like designing, but if I design for myself its never good enough thats what puts me off because It will never be right and I will just be stuck in a loop redoing it.

I love coding so much though, oh and blackhat seo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Mattias is saying, don't spend your time doing things you don't like.

There's too much opportunity out there for all that.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree with samsm

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I have to chime in too. If you dont like programming and dont have that type personality it will NEVER work for you, plain and simple you'll be miserable.

I tell those who want to become programmers that you HAVE to be the kind of person that can focus on something 100% till its done. You cant be wandering around daydreaming and expect to program well. You also have to be the kind that just LOVES trying to figure out solutions to problems cause thats what programming really is and you have to be one of those "this isnt going to beat me" determined types that gets motivated MORE when something doesnt work right.... kind of like a puzzle you cant figure out but your not going to stop until you do!

Definately sounds to me you are NOT the programming type. There's tons of ways to make money and if youre not happy doing what you do I dont care how much money you make, you will be MISERABLE!

May sound stupid to some but you will find out later in life that money REALLY isnt everything.... being happy in what you do, no let me re-phrase that, LOVING what you do to make money means everything!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, keep in mind that there are many different levels of programming.

For example, you may benefit from using a framework where some of the more tedious details are out of the way before you begin.

From what you've said, it sounds like you really don't like what you are doing. But, there is a chance that what you don't like is that you aren't working as smart as you could.

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton
    You cant be wandering around daydreaming and expect to program well.
    I think the league of role players would beg to differ.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?