SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is \Device\HardDiskX\D?

I'm getting error messages in my event viewing that mention \Device\HardDisk0\D and \Device\HardDisk2\D, and there's also an error about writing to f:\$Msft. What drive letters are \Device\HardDisk0\D and \Device\HardDisk2\D - drive d? Or f? I looked in device manager and saw no such naming scheme for the drives. Why does MS confuse it like this?

You have my gratitude,

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess is that the Windows drive-letter system is just a shell wrapped around the Unix-style /dev system, regardless of the direction of the slashes or the naming conventions. I would also go out on a limb and say that the devices there are the actual hardware components that appear of the Hardware tab of a given disk's Properties dialog. What appears in My Computer, I believe, is simply the partition system.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Download Belarc

It's a floppy size prog. that shows u everything from assigned drive letters (partitions) software licenses. This little powerful prog. will and should become everyones best friend. If u need a serial # (key) Belarc genertates that as well in the pc's profile. When i took comp. support 2 yrs. ago in Aylmer, Quebec we used it all the time in skool to see what prog's students were running as well as keeping serials the same so the Gov't and Emploi Quebec would see consistency.
    We downloaded another little program called Jellybean. Yep, it had the ability to alter key numbers without uninstalling the prog. You see it's all esthetics. a little Belarc here a little Jellybean there and of course IconLock. Y'ever hear of that one? Fun, keeps icons to user limited. My skool loved that one.