User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Identity
    How long do you think It would take to script a tutorial database, like Good-tutorials? With knowledge of only html.
    To learn the basics of a database driven website, probably a couple of days if you use online tutorials etc, to UNDERSTAND it fully would take much, much longer.

Learning the basics is fine ie the syntax, variables, functions etc but you MUST understand why things work and what they do to be able to say you have learnt to code.

It is the difference between hearing music and listening to it!

SpikeZ

BTW is this for real Identity...
    http://www.tutorialboardiscurrentlyu...backlater.com/
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

Brisbane Media
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh really? Wow, looks like I'll get to it then. Thanks for your reply.

BTW is this for real Identity...
    No, I cant believe you even asked!
    Luke, Brisbane Media
    www.brisbanemedia.com.au

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    *shuffles off in embarassment*
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I learned PHP without a book. I'm programming for one year now, (php was the first language), and I can do everything PHP is capable of. Once you know the basic syntax, OOP, and you know how to use the manual, you can do everything. It goes a little slow in the beginning, but after you've used a function tree times or so, you don't have to go to php.net anymore. Working with functions you know is 2000% faster than with other functions. So once you know most of the functions you can do a script a lot faster. Also BlueFish is a very handy editor, with built-in function reference (don't visit php.net, just click on the sidebar).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have to admit that I haven't the rest of the replies, but I'd just like to point out to you that you can't really ever STOP learning PHP.. I don't think that there is anyone out there (at all!) that completely knows PHP inside out! You'll always need you PHP Manual (or some other reference guide) to assist you when writing and you'll always learn new methods, functions, etc. while doing projects!

HOWEVER!

The trick when it comes to PHP (or any language for this matter) is learning to read the manual correctly and learning structure and methods. Let me elaborate.. Even if you don't know which functions you need to use, know how to read the manual and understanding (just a little) how PHP functions are generally named will get you a long way! Also knowing how to structure your code and what methods you need to use to solve certain problems will save you a lot of time.

It is therefore my advice NOT to spend a whole lot of time studying the manual (by hard) and also not to tackle big projects at first; when just starting out try to take on small projects. Try everything. Try using PHP's image functions (GD2 library), try archiving (making or reading ZIP files..), try basic MySQL commands, etc, etc etc. By taking on small projects (actually, you need to look at them as challenges!) you'll quickly learn METHODS of tackling problems, instead of learning solutions to problems by hard. This way, after you become used to a few methods, you'll be able to take on bigger projects relatively quick.

Scan the web for small articles and tutorials. Follow the author's method at first, but quickly try to engage a problem yourself so that you can find out what methods you're most comfortable with.

For me personally, I've been programming PHP for 3,5 years now and have been doing so professionally for just over 2 years. And of course ... I'm still learning....

Quaint Tech
    - Blog on web development and web technology.

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Identity
    How long do you think It would take to script a tutorial database, like Good-tutorials? With knowledge of only html.
    Well, it's taken me about four months to redo it for the next version. (Including laborious thinking-it-out and design and whatnot). The original Good-Tutorials I coded in PHP as a way to help myself learn the language way back in the day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say PHP is very easy to learn at the beggining, but, since it's so powerful, it takes quite a long time to master.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found php easier to learn than html. But then that's because once you know how to write sites using html then php is easier to learn.

I can't really say how long it took me as I know alot of php, but I am still learning new things everyday.

I guess it just comes naturally. You learn the basics and then you only learn the harder things when you actually need to use it.