SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 51
  1. #26
    ~unplugged Ainslie X11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Langley, Virginia
    Posts
    1,013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah - it's great being able to talk about t***** wh*** c**'* no****** b* t***** a****


    working hard is hard work

  2. #27
    The MacGyver of Design bronze trophy Johan Dahlström's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Posts
    516
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Egor
    Honestly, nothing. General Chat has gone downhill since the beginning of 2005. The topics have been played on repeat. The replies to them have been totally off-topic for the most part.

    What can I say? GC sucks.
    Couldn't agree more. I rarely post in here anylonger and try to stay out of here as much as I can. It's just TOO MUCH CRAP. We all know this... And any attempt to have a serious discussion will be completely in vain and your thread will be out of sight in two minutes. And as Egor says, the topics are pretty much set on a "repeat every week" schedule...

    http://www.johandahlstrom.se
    Not rebootin' on November 1st! (but shortly after)
    flickr



  3. #28
    The Legend Indian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Gods' Own Country
    Posts
    890
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archbob
    I love it because I can say anything I want. Freedom of speech is awesome.
    I agree with Archbob. That's why I love it too.
    Death --the last sleep? No, it is the final awakening.

    TinyPlanet.org
    Discuss and Debate World Events, Politics and Religion

  4. #29
    Non-Member Egor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    7,305
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archbob
    I love it because I can say anything I want.
    As if...

  5. #30
    The Legend Indian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Gods' Own Country
    Posts
    890
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, we can say anything we want. If you can't, that's because you want to say things you shouldn't. Or you don't know how to say things.
    Death --the last sleep? No, it is the final awakening.

    TinyPlanet.org
    Discuss and Debate World Events, Politics and Religion

  6. #31
    Non-Member Saffron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Calif, USA
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Smile freedom of speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Archbob
    I love it because I can say anything I want. Freedom of speech is awesome.
    That is what I like about this too. But freedom of speech isn't upheld on a lot of other forums. I think that nowhere but in the U.S. do people value their free speech rights.

    I have been on certain boards that are published in the U.S. where if something you write isn't in agreement with the mod's or if they think it is "inappropriate" it is deleted immediately. Needless to say, those kinds of boards aren't very user friendly. The one I am referring to has no way to upload avatars, pictures, gifs, jpgs, only texts. And it does not even have a way to quote what you are replying to , unless you copy and paste the person's quote yourself. It makes for a lot of misundertandings and arguments.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #32
    Non-Member Egor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    7,305
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indian
    If you can't, that's because you want to say things you shouldn't.
    That cuts the definition of 'anything' short. Of course, we can all swear our heas off at ech other, just like we could pick up a gun and shoot everyone on the street. Heck, lets start a few religious threads here, yeah? Sure people will see/be offended by them, but it will be shut down in a matter of minutes...

    No, it's not because we shouldn't post topics as such; it's because, according to the guidelines, we can't. Therefore, the whole 'Freedom of Speech' thing is bolllocks in my opinion; there is no such right.

  8. #33
    Matthew's Daddy Mike Empuria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Box, Wiltshire
    Posts
    514
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Egor
    That cuts the definition of 'anything' short. Of course, we can all swear our heas off at ech other, just like we could pick up a gun and shoot everyone on the street. Heck, lets start a few religious threads here, yeah? Sure people will see/be offended by them, but it will be shut down in a matter of minutes...

    No, it's not because we shouldn't post topics as such; it's because, according to the guidelines, we can't. Therefore, the whole 'Freedom of Speech' thing is bolllocks in my opinion; there is no such right.
    I'm with Egor here. One of the complaints about CG recently has been the lack of interesting threads. Many of us in THIS thread are resposible for inconsequental discussions but we are all bound by the rules of SP so unfortunately, some of the most interesting discussions on religious, political, gender, cultural, monetry issues can't be held.

    Personally though, I don't want them. If I want to have serious discussions that are not allowed by SP policy I could. We all know where to go for them and some of us advertise them in our sigs.

    We don't have freedom of speech as such because we are bound by rules. On the other hand we have a forum in which the general conduct of users is excellent, the help given is superb and the atmosphere of the site is fantastic.

    Go to any BBC Sport discussion board and see the quality of discussion compared with ours. And the BBC gets millions of pounds for their web site.

    I know where I'd rather spend my Wednesday nights!

  9. #34
    Non-Member Saffron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Calif, USA
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Red face What?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ainslie X11
    Yeah - it's great being able to talk about t***** wh*** c**'* no****** b* t***** a****
    What is that?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #35
    is not my name biggdesign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Station 43
    Posts
    289
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bump bump bump.. - B2K
    stay hungry, stay foolish.

  11. #36
    The Legend Indian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Gods' Own Country
    Posts
    890
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Egor
    That cuts the definition of 'anything' short. Of course, we can all swear our heas off at ech other, just like we could pick up a gun and shoot everyone on the street. Heck, lets start a few religious threads here, yeah? Sure people will see/be offended by them, but it will be shut down in a matter of minutes...

    No, it's not because we shouldn't post topics as such; it's because, according to the guidelines, we can't. Therefore, the whole 'Freedom of Speech' thing is bolllocks in my opinion; there is no such right.
    But why should one want to start a religious thread in a Web development community? I am someone who love to talk politics and religion. Those topics are important to me than Web development. But it doesn't mean that I would like to discuss them here. I don't want to go to a web development forum and then get distracted by such topics.

    Even when it was allowed here, I never started a religious thread. But I got involved in many such threads started by others. In the very first such thread, what I tried was to get that thread closed.

    SitePoint's guidelines are in accord with my own wishes. And I can still talk politics or spirituality when I feel like talking it. That's what I call freedom.

    Freedom is not something that you get by begging or whining, it is something you should find yourself.
    Death --the last sleep? No, it is the final awakening.

    TinyPlanet.org
    Discuss and Debate World Events, Politics and Religion

  12. #37
    Non-Member Egor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    7,305
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indian
    But why should one want to start a religious thread in a Web development community? I am someone who love to talk politics and religion. Those topics are important to me than Web development. But it doesn't mean that I would like to discuss them here. I don't want to go to a web development forum and then get distracted by such topics.
    Personally, neither do I. Subjects as such are irrelevant here. However 'Why' does not take over the meaning of 'Can.' You see ther point I'm trying to make here is that we can't say anything we could, therefore the 'Freedom of Speech' right does not apply. My point is not 'Why', but 'Can'.

    Quote Originally Posted by Indian
    Freedom is not something that you get by begging or whining, it is something you should find yourself.
    Once again, you're getting into spirituality here. Freedom in lay-man's terms is the ability to do do anything you want. With rules such as the law senforcement system, and the guidelines of SitePoint here, it just doesn't work out...

  13. #38
    The Legend Indian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Gods' Own Country
    Posts
    890
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Egor
    My point is not 'Why', but 'Can'.
    We can say anything we want. And then the moderators can ban us (if necessary). Both we and SitePoint have the freedom!
    Quote Originally Posted by Egor
    Freedom in lay-man's terms is the ability to do do anything you want.
    The Indian word for 'free' is swatantra.
    Swa = One's own
    Tantra = plan, technique, strategy, governance.

    Freedom doesn't depend on decisions taken by others. It depends on your own decisions and how fearless you are. Freedom is fearlessness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Egor
    With rules such as the law senforcement system, and the guidelines of SitePoint here, it just doesn't work out...
    I follow my own rules. I wouldn't be in a place where I am not allowed to do what I want.
    Death --the last sleep? No, it is the final awakening.

    TinyPlanet.org
    Discuss and Debate World Events, Politics and Religion

  14. #39
    SitePoint Evangelist sputza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    528
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indian
    I follow my own rules. I wouldn't be in a place where I am not allowed to do what I want.
    I agree to a point. However, some rules are needed to maintain order. The idea of a utopian society do not work in reality.
    Steven Watkins
    Chief Web Ninja
    Code Monkey Interactive
    lowgravity.ca

  15. #40
    The Legend Indian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Gods' Own Country
    Posts
    890
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Reality" is an illusion.
    Death --the last sleep? No, it is the final awakening.

    TinyPlanet.org
    Discuss and Debate World Events, Politics and Religion

  16. #41
    Non-Member Egor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    7,305
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indian
    We can say anything we want. And then the moderators can ban us (if necessary). Both we and SitePoint have the freedom!
    Yep, we sure can; we can say things in a forum community that aren't permitted, as we could tell a police officer to XXXX XXXX XXX (I'll let your imagination to define those X;s). 'We', can say anything we want, but the end-users may have rules against certain sayings, like profanity and such, and the justice system may not be in favour of it either. My point is, regardless of what your tounge can flap, there are certain rules in each community (Country/Society/Group/Whatever...) which try to pervent you from saying certain things. While they can't stop you, you'll certainly be banned once they catch you.

    I just don't buy the 'freedom of being banned' thing. Yes, we can say anything we want, in any community on Earth, but how it's accepted varies.

  17. #42
    SitePoint Evangelist sputza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    528
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I know when you say something that goes against someone else’s freedoms and rights... is that not against the law? As an example, racist comments can land you in jail/hot water.
    Steven Watkins
    Chief Web Ninja
    Code Monkey Interactive
    lowgravity.ca

  18. #43
    The Legend Indian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Gods' Own Country
    Posts
    890
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Egor,

    So you define freedom by whether it is accepted by others. I don't accept your definition of freedom.
    Death --the last sleep? No, it is the final awakening.

    TinyPlanet.org
    Discuss and Debate World Events, Politics and Religion

  19. #44
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,355
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indian
    Egor,

    So you define freedom by whether it is accepted by others. I don't accept your definition of freedom.
    Thats quite alright. He's free to define it anyway he wants to, just as you are free to accept it or not. And now you both want to beat the heck out of me.

  20. #45
    SitePoint Evangelist sputza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    528
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thing i love about the general forum... rants! Example: Egor vs Indian in this very thread
    Steven Watkins
    Chief Web Ninja
    Code Monkey Interactive
    lowgravity.ca

  21. #46
    Avoid the inevitable. Katasdf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Toronto, ON, CA
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GC has made me late for several things on several different occasions.

    I can't help myself but post and read the pointless threads started by members .
    Chris
    This is probably mine --> Design Heights

  22. #47
    The Legend Indian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Gods' Own Country
    Posts
    890
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I saw a post from Egor today morning when I checked this thread from work. Now it is disappeared...
    Death --the last sleep? No, it is the final awakening.

    TinyPlanet.org
    Discuss and Debate World Events, Politics and Religion

  23. #48
    Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    HAWK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    12,600
    Mentioned
    987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Wow... seems like lots has been happening while I've been gone...

  24. #49
    SitePoint Evangelist sputza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    528
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Egor, where are you? Indian is looking for you.
    Steven Watkins
    Chief Web Ninja
    Code Monkey Interactive
    lowgravity.ca

  25. #50
    Non-Member Egor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    7,305
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lol. My post didn't quite make as much sense as I thought it did the night before, so I figured why not delete it to save the embarassment. One of these days I'll post a lengthy reply, Indian. One of these days...


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •