SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah - it's great being able to talk about t***** wh*** c**'* no****** b* t***** a****

working hard is hard work

The MacGyver of Design bronze trophy Johan Dahlström's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Egor
    Honestly, nothing. General Chat has gone downhill since the beginning of 2005. The topics have been played on repeat. The replies to them have been totally off-topic for the most part.

What can I say? GC sucks.
    Couldn't agree more. I rarely post in here anylonger and try to stay out of here as much as I can. It's just TOO MUCH CRAP. We all know this... And any attempt to have a serious discussion will be completely in vain and your thread will be out of sight in two minutes. And as Egor says, the topics are pretty much set on a "repeat every week" schedule...

http://www.johandahlstrom.se
    Not rebootin' on November 1st! (but shortly after)
    flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archbob
    I love it because I can say anything I want. Freedom of speech is awesome.
    I agree with Archbob. That's why I love it too.
    Death --the last sleep? No, it is the final awakening.

TinyPlanet.org
    Discuss and Debate World Events, Politics and Religion

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I love it because I can say anything I want.
    As if...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, we can say anything we want. If you can't, that's because you want to say things you shouldn't. Or you don't know how to say things.

TinyPlanet.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile freedom of speech

I love it because I can say anything I want. Freedom of speech is awesome.
    That is what I like about this too. But freedom of speech isn't upheld on a lot of other forums. I think that nowhere but in the U.S. do people value their free speech rights.

I have been on certain boards that are published in the U.S. where if something you write isn't in agreement with the mod's or if they think it is "inappropriate" it is deleted immediately. Needless to say, those kinds of boards aren't very user friendly. The one I am referring to has no way to upload avatars, pictures, gifs, jpgs, only texts. And it does not even have a way to quote what you are replying to , unless you copy and paste the person's quote yourself. It makes for a lot of misundertandings and arguments.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indian
    If you can't, that's because you want to say things you shouldn't.
    That cuts the definition of 'anything' short. Of course, we can all swear our heas off at ech other, just like we could pick up a gun and shoot everyone on the street. Heck, lets start a few religious threads here, yeah? Sure people will see/be offended by them, but it will be shut down in a matter of minutes...

No, it's not because we shouldn't post topics as such; it's because, according to the guidelines, we can't. Therefore, the whole 'Freedom of Speech' thing is bolllocks in my opinion; there is no such right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That cuts the definition of 'anything' short. Of course, we can all swear our heas off at ech other, just like we could pick up a gun and shoot everyone on the street. Heck, lets start a few religious threads here, yeah? Sure people will see/be offended by them, but it will be shut down in a matter of minutes...

No, it's not because we shouldn't post topics as such; it's because, according to the guidelines, we can't. Therefore, the whole 'Freedom of Speech' thing is bolllocks in my opinion; there is no such right.
    I'm with Egor here. One of the complaints about CG recently has been the lack of interesting threads. Many of us in THIS thread are resposible for inconsequental discussions but we are all bound by the rules of SP so unfortunately, some of the most interesting discussions on religious, political, gender, cultural, monetry issues can't be held.

Personally though, I don't want them. If I want to have serious discussions that are not allowed by SP policy I could. We all know where to go for them and some of us advertise them in our sigs.

We don't have freedom of speech as such because we are bound by rules. On the other hand we have a forum in which the general conduct of users is excellent, the help given is superb and the atmosphere of the site is fantastic.

Go to any BBC Sport discussion board and see the quality of discussion compared with ours. And the BBC gets millions of pounds for their web site.

I know where I'd rather spend my Wednesday nights!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face What?

Quote Originally Posted by Ainslie X11
    Yeah - it's great being able to talk about t***** wh*** c**'* no****** b* t***** a****
    What is that?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bump bump bump.. - B2K
    stay hungry, stay foolish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But why should one want to start a religious thread in a Web development community? I am someone who love to talk politics and religion. Those topics are important to me than Web development. But it doesn't mean that I would like to discuss them here. I don't want to go to a web development forum and then get distracted by such topics.

Even when it was allowed here, I never started a religious thread. But I got involved in many such threads started by others. In the very first such thread, what I tried was to get that thread closed.

SitePoint's guidelines are in accord with my own wishes. And I can still talk politics or spirituality when I feel like talking it. That's what I call freedom.

Freedom is not something that you get by begging or whining, it is something you should find yourself.

TinyPlanet.org

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    But why should one want to start a religious thread in a Web development community? I am someone who love to talk politics and religion. Those topics are important to me than Web development. But it doesn't mean that I would like to discuss them here. I don't want to go to a web development forum and then get distracted by such topics.
    Personally, neither do I. Subjects as such are irrelevant here. However 'Why' does not take over the meaning of 'Can.' You see ther point I'm trying to make here is that we can't say anything we could, therefore the 'Freedom of Speech' right does not apply. My point is not 'Why', but 'Can'.

Freedom is not something that you get by begging or whining, it is something you should find yourself.
    Once again, you're getting into spirituality here. Freedom in lay-man's terms is the ability to do do anything you want. With rules such as the law senforcement system, and the guidelines of SitePoint here, it just doesn't work out...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My point is not 'Why', but 'Can'.
    We can say anything we want. And then the moderators can ban us (if necessary). Both we and SitePoint have the freedom!
    Freedom in lay-man's terms is the ability to do do anything you want.
    The Indian word for 'free' is swatantra.
    Swa = One's own
    Tantra = plan, technique, strategy, governance.

Freedom doesn't depend on decisions taken by others. It depends on your own decisions and how fearless you are. Freedom is fearlessness.
    With rules such as the law senforcement system, and the guidelines of SitePoint here, it just doesn't work out...
    I follow my own rules. I wouldn't be in a place where I am not allowed to do what I want.

TinyPlanet.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I follow my own rules. I wouldn't be in a place where I am not allowed to do what I want.
    I agree to a point. However, some rules are needed to maintain order. The idea of a utopian society do not work in reality.
    Steven Watkins
    Chief Web Ninja
    Code Monkey Interactive
    lowgravity.ca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Reality" is an illusion.

TinyPlanet.org

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We can say anything we want. And then the moderators can ban us (if necessary). Both we and SitePoint have the freedom!
    Yep, we sure can; we can say things in a forum community that aren't permitted, as we could tell a police officer to XXXX XXXX XXX (I'll let your imagination to define those X;s). 'We', can say anything we want, but the end-users may have rules against certain sayings, like profanity and such, and the justice system may not be in favour of it either. My point is, regardless of what your tounge can flap, there are certain rules in each community (Country/Society/Group/Whatever...) which try to pervent you from saying certain things. While they can't stop you, you'll certainly be banned once they catch you.

I just don't buy the 'freedom of being banned' thing. Yes, we can say anything we want, in any community on Earth, but how it's accepted varies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I know when you say something that goes against someone else’s freedoms and rights... is that not against the law? As an example, racist comments can land you in jail/hot water.
    Steven Watkins
    Chief Web Ninja
    Code Monkey Interactive
    lowgravity.ca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Egor,

So you define freedom by whether it is accepted by others. I don't accept your definition of freedom.

TinyPlanet.org

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Egor,

So you define freedom by whether it is accepted by others. I don't accept your definition of freedom.
    Thats quite alright. He's free to define it anyway he wants to, just as you are free to accept it or not. And now you both want to beat the heck out of me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thing i love about the general forum... rants! Example: Egor vs Indian in this very thread
    Steven Watkins
    Chief Web Ninja
    Code Monkey Interactive
    lowgravity.ca

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GC has made me late for several things on several different occasions.

I can't help myself but post and read the pointless threads started by members .
    Chris
    This is probably mine --> Design Heights

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I saw a post from Egor today morning when I checked this thread from work. Now it is disappeared...

TinyPlanet.org

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Wow... seems like lots has been happening while I've been gone...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Egor, where are you? Indian is looking for you.
    Steven Watkins
    Chief Web Ninja
    Code Monkey Interactive
    lowgravity.ca

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lol. My post didn't quite make as much sense as I thought it did the night before, so I figured why not delete it to save the embarassment. One of these days I'll post a lengthy reply, Indian. One of these days...