SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

The MacGyver of Design bronze trophy Johan Dahlström's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your life as it could have been

I think most of us at some point in our lives takes a moment to think about what could have been if we had chose differently. So what's your story?

Which career did you NOT choose, which job did you NOT take, what place did you NOT go and who did you NOT date? Other big decisions or other events that has had a large impact on you life?

PS. One can always reflect about things like "if I'd left my house five seconds later, that bus would have run over me...", but that's not as interesting so let's leave that for another thread.
    http://www.johandahlstrom.se
    Not rebootin' on November 1st! (but shortly after)
    flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theere are several instances in my life like this
    but 3 are like i change my way after few dts work

First:
    After my class 10th i choose commerce but after one month
    ichange my subjects to computer science
    if i would have not changed my subjects i would not have been developer
    may be accountant or managing my father's business

Second:
    First i take admissin in simple 3 yrs graduation course(Bsc.)(very less fees)
    But after 3 months i joined Engineering college
    for B.Tech in Computer Science 4 years course(completed in 2004) (very high fees)
    if i would not have joiined B.Tech, i would have saved lot of money till now

Third:Joined fathers business last year but i got my job in september
    and leaved business(it was very tough decesion)
    if would not have leaved my father's business
    i would not have joined sitepoint
    leaving at home with my parents and brother(now i am far from home)
    and many other if ...else...
    Ankit Aneja
    "Nothing is impossible. The word itself says - I M possible"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nice thread.

I could vent on and on, but I'll make it short. I've had a fair bit of opportunities which I didn't take advantage of - Finishing school, which I left at an early age, could indeed have landed me elsewhere. If I still lived in Russia, I'd be in the Army today. The best decision I made in my life was probably moving with the olds to Australia. It gave me time to think and reassess my life, and where I wanted to be heading. Oh, and I probably wouldn't have found SPF!

Sure, there are some things I wish I could go back and change, but for the most part I don't regret the choices I made.
    Last edited by Egor; Aug 16, 2005 at 06:36.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lemme think..........
    I was born intelligent,
    But Google ruined me.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As it could have been?

I could have bought that lotto ticket (first 1 I missed in over a year), payout was 64mil, noone won. Was my number though.

Wife would have taken it and fought for custody, she'd probably have won since I wouldn't have been able to survive a long drawn out battle.

Best damn decision I ever made was not to buy that ticket, now I'm rich, have custody of my son and she's dirt poor as she should be.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The biggest lifechanging moment was when I decided to join the Navy after high school instead of going to a university. This one decision has defined the rest of my life...and I mean EVERYTHING.

It was the best decision I made.
    Sara

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Great thread indeed! One day and 1/2 left and I am off on holiday to Hungary and the day was going so slowly

Whithout a shadow of a doubt the turning point of my life was 11 years ago when I left Romania and settled in the UK. Whithin few months back in '94 I decided to leave everything behind (parents, pet,friends,hobby, university) and start from scratch. If I had stayed in my native country I would have maybe graduate in economics or something simillar, do a lot more sports and go out with more women. Maybe would have been a parent myself. Undoubtly leaving my country was the best decision. UK had a lot to offer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If I hadn't given up drawing at 15 I could be an artist right now

Being able to eat is nice though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to be an electronic engineer for ages, then a lawyer - still wouldn't mind doing one of those two things, pity about the whole 'going to uni for a degree' issue.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ugh, there was a time when i didn't know what to do! A friend recomended multimedia. Said that it would be good for me because i used to draw a lot. So i signed up at a multimedia school and that was the best decision ever.

If it weren't for that, I would have yet been designing, but it would be like "will work for food" signs.

... hmmm a business idea for a homeless person there. Set up shop under the bridge designing effective signs for other homeless people.

"Chiropractor bill too high? Hire me to do your yard work and save 75%. Hurry now. Visit www.work-your-bum-off.com for more info and coupons"

-- Sign designed by Conradical.

Now wouldn't that work!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be a caricaturist (draw comics and stuff) because that's what i was best at. I might have joined the army or something , not sure.

It's a long story how i got into computers , but it started with my brother giving me his old computer so i can play a video game i had.

Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Changing colleges. That was the best decision I ever made, which set me in a great direction. The first college was cheap (you get what you pay for), but the second college was much more expensive, but the learning opportunites where wonderful!