SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firewall and Personal Server Help?!

I posted this in the Webpage Design forum, but I'm posting it here after a suggestion by Aes.

hey all,

I run a fairly private webserver off of my DSL connection. I've recently been hacked, and want to install some form of countermeasure to prevent this from happening. Ths server is a W2K box that I use to route the DSL and host webpages for myself. Cost is not really an object as to how much some form of solution, but I'd also like it to be simple. Does anyone have a solution?

P.S. My DSL modem does not have a firewall, and I have PPPoE, not a Static IP.

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Errr... I don't know if this'll work for you but I used ZoneAlarm for a long time on my W2K personal webserver (static IP, dialup connection).

Seemed to work OK, but I wasn't doing anything too tricky with it.
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also running Windows 2000 with a dynamic IP. I use ZoneAlarm. Even though I am not afraid of being hacked and am willing to face the consequences, I have the firewall up almost all of the time. My computer is running 24/7 (for about a quarter of a year now) but I don't have Apache running for much of that time (I just use it to play with PHP).

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might try it, then. I wonder, can I configure it so everyone can still use the network as the internet connection?

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use BlackIce Defender for my connection. It seems to keep all the people out of my computer. I've tried Norton personal firewall, but it's just bloatware like the rest of their products. BlackIce is small and it works. I've never tried ZoneAlarm, though, so I can't give a valid comaprison.