SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >> Please at least take this into consideration as you formulate your opinions

Believe me when I say that the php|a's inability to run a decent eCommerce and customer service operation won't have any impact on my opinions of the book

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamscape
    >> Please at least take this into consideration as you formulate your opinions

Believe me when I say that the php|a's inability to run a decent eCommerce and customer service operation won't have any impact on my opinions of the book
    ditto. I know how little influence an author often has over
    a) publisher's choice of typography
    b) publisher/distributer's choice of shipper, etc.
    c) distributer's sales site.

I had only one small complaint about the book's content.

The content is generally exceptional. Most PHP books I want to throw across the room* and never pick up again; I've already read through several parts of yours twice. I would, and have, been recommending it to a number of other PHP developers I interact with -- I can't recommend ordering it from php|a though -- I'd rather wait the ~4weeks or so that Amazon lists. While it may be a longer wait, at least the expectation management is done right.

*(Why, oh why, do some many PHP books teach security through obscurity -- "don't name your script 'admin.php' name it 'asdhfgasdkjfh.php' so that hackers don't find it" seems to appear in a large number of PHP books.... )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, our copy has just landed on my desk here in London. It does look very promising indeed I like the fact that it starts with the 'Test first' manifesto, and it's the first explicitly PHP book I've come across that knows a Value object from an entity. Looking forward to reading the rest.

So come 5:30pm I've got to choose between going for a run or settling in to my local with the book and a pint of Staro