SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sweatje's new PHP Patterns Book

Anyone else reading Jason's new book? I haven't gotten the print version yet so I'm going through the PDF now.

Right off the bat I love the fact its so tied in with TDD, not just unit testing but actually coding from the test which is right on par with what I'm doing at the moment.

I've only had time to go through a couple patterns and the introduction so far so I can't really give a full review at the moment.

Just wanted to know if there were any other readers out there.
    My-Bic - Easiest AJAX/PHP Framework Around
    Now Debug PHP scripts with Firebug!

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the PDF freely available somewhere?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no, the pdf comes with the book purchase... apparently there were some printer issues which is why the real book isn't shipped yet.

http://www.phparch.com/shop_product.php?itemid=96 $32 US. not a bad investment in ones knowledge.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, I see. Too bad

eschew sesquipedalians silver trophy sweatje's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jplush76
    Just wanted to know if there were any other readers out there.
    I've read it Still waiting for the hard copies myself, though I have heard they shipped.
    Jason Sweat ZCE - jsweat_php@yahoo.com
    Book: PHP Patterns
    Good Stuff: SimpleTest PHPUnit FireFox ADOdb YUI
    Detestable (adjective): software that isn't testable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have hoped you've read it

is there a concept behind the ordering of the patterns in the book?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I posted in a similar thread on this same forum...

I love the TDD methodology that this book uses. I've been struggling to understand how that works in practice...and to see so many examples of it here all tied in with design patterns too is just great!

As for the actual design pattern content, PERSONALLY, I find Head First Design Patterns book from O'Reilly provides a better explanation of the concepts. Their examples are easier for me to follow. But I also read that book first so it's what I'm familiar with.

Combining the two books is a great way to get good pattern theory and TDD best practices examples.

Can't wait for my hardcopy of Jason's book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jplush76
    is there a concept behind the ordering of the patterns in the book?
    Well... I started out with a list of patterns I have used in my own programming. Then I bounced the list off of Marcus (and convinced him to be the tech reviewer for the book ) I fleshed out an order that I thought would allow the patterns to build on each other, then after the first few chapters tech reviews, Marcus made a suggestion that the Value Object pattern would help emphasize the reference differences between PHP4 and PHP5 that I started to present in the preface. The early patterns lean more towards construction of objects. Then I included the Mock Object Testing Pattern, just because of its importance to TDD, a major theme of the book. The next few were general work horses of Design Patterns I have used in my own web applications. I save data access patterns and MVC for last. The MVC chapter might be a bit controversial, instead of presenting a straight forward code example, I changed tone to more of an "article" style, and provided many jumping off research points for model, view and controller related patterns (think intro to PoEAA ).

I hope this is not construed as self promoting (I think it is not, as you created the thread on the subject). I do believe this book has a unique niche in PHP related books. AFAIK, it is the only book entirely devoted to patterns, to give prominent footing to unit testing and TDD, and to give equal treatment to both PHP4 and PHP5.

There are obviously a number of good books on patterns in general (GoF and PoEAA should be on everyone’s shelves) and George's Advanced PHP, Harry's PHP books here on SitePoint and Matt Zandstra's PHP5 book are all very good, PHP books, and have portions of the books devoted to OOP and patterns.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really think if you want a patterns book you should try Head First.

On saying that I think the TDD style of this book make it a worthwhile purchase.

George
    Got Sig!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just ordered it at the local bookstore here, can't wait!

thanks Jason!
    Business as usual is off the menu folks, ...

Can we go to a 48 hour day?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waiting for the hard copy myself. I just can't sit down with a pdf although it'll be nice when I'm working and want to search for that one things I know was in there somewhere.

I'm looking forward to the TDD aspect as it's something I need to start doing here. Can't wait to get it in.
    mitechie.com
    "Techies just think a little differently
    ...at least that is what they keep telling me."

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy kyberfabrikken's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beware though, that the book can only be shipped to North America and Rest of the world. Might put off one or two of the regulars in theese forums.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hehe finished it some time after i received it. it's definitely a good read in my opinion, and does a good job of comparing php4 to php5 implementations when they spring up. probably the most identifying part of it is the TDD focus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kyberfabrikken
    Beware though, that the book can only be shipped to North America and Rest of the world. Might put off one or two of the regulars in theese forums.
    I thought I detected a few from off planet around here

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Jason, good to see your taking part in the discussion about your book, but unfortunately I have some reservations, but maybe I'm just being picky I think?

For me personally I feel the book has arrived too late as I've said in another thread, but I think that the book would be an advantage to those who are starting out with object oriented programming, and design patterns.

The book is an introduction in it's self to TDD, and as you say it's the book to have before going further (with PoEAA for example) so I hope that members of these forums who are just starting out, listen up and buy your book and that you sell vast quantities.

I won't be buying your book but don't let that get to you, it's not personal and I don't think for one minute the book is inferior, it isn't since I did read and review a chapter for you, but if you do another book in the (near) future, I'd be interesting in knowing about it.

Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just scanned the free sample available at phparch.com, and I must say that I really like the no-nonsense, hands-on approach that you took, Jason. Congratulations for having the courage and the knowledge to tackle such a big project. I think I might buy the book in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Livingston
    For me personally I feel the book has arrived too late as I've said in another thread, but I think that the book would be an advantage to those who are starting out with object oriented programming, and design patterns.
    It might have come too late for you, and perhaps for your expertise level, but I sincerely doubt there isn't anything in the book that you could learn from. At any rate, not late at all for the community as a hole, since we are in dire need for more books dealing with advanced PHP programming techniques. It is these kinds of books that will nudge over seasoned programmers / IT managers that might be considering to switch over to PHP in enterprise environments.
    Garcia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the problem with PHP has been there is ceiling of knowledge you get to and once you get to that ceiling you're on your own to learn more advanced features. 90% of PHP books are getting started books. I find myself reading alot more java, c# based books, applying some principals to PHP5.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At any rate, not late at all for the community as a hole, since we are in dire need for more books dealing with advanced PHP programming techniques.
    For the community I would agree with you whole heartedly in fact, which was why I was looking forward to the book in the first place. If the book was published a year ago then what a difference it would have made for me, but sadly this isn't the case

But I do think a lot of people are going to go out and buy the book, and they are going to learn a lot from it, there is absolutely no doubt about that, in that regards, as why I suggested that the book would help more if your starting to learn more about OO and Design Patterns (specific to PHP obviously, as the resources on the web are mostly Java examples, and not everyone who scripts PHP will or can understand the examples in the Java context)

If there was anything that I could take away from the book, I suppose it would have to be the Unit Tests, if nothing else but I'm at the moment looking for a few decent books on Python so I need to watch my expenses you understand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deuce868
    Waiting for the hard copy myself.
    They should be headed your way soon. I just received my copies last night: http://blog.casey-sweat.us/index.php?p=62

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Livingston
    I suggested that the book would help more if your starting to learn more about OO and Design Patterns
    Have you read it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >> Have you read it?

Judging from his other posts, he has only read the chapter titles, and possibly the sample download. But he's already said he didn't buy it and isn't going to, so unless he stole a copy, my educated guess is that no he has not read it and is basing his opinion on almost nothing (chapter titles + a small sample download).

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    McGruff, no I've not read the book, but I did get the chance to review an early chapter, and by judging the content of that, and the chapter I've looked over from PHP|Arch I am off the view point that someone who is new to object oriented methods, design patterns, or someone who is thinking about studying these, they would benifit from this book.

Of my opinion on the other hand, that is more based on what Jason has done for other members on these forums, over and above whatever I gather from the book. I would proberly still recommend someone to buy the book, even if I'd not read the chapters, simply because Jason has done a lot for Site Point.

I doubt very much if anyone on this forum could point to a bad or ill thought out response for example? Much like Harry Fuecks and Kevin Yank for example? That is what I'm talking about I suppose

Are you going to buy a copy of the book McGruff, out of interest?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RE: Head First Design Patterns. I see it mentioned in this thread so figure this is the correct place to add my request.

I too bought this book, at the beginning of the year, and was studiously recreating all the examples from Java to PHP5.

I was simultaneously beefing up on PHP4 to PHP5 OO changes, beefing up on OOP in general - having realised how little I understood of OOP - and well, slowly turning myself from a scripter to something like a programmer. I dont think I am alone in trying to do this without a programming background. (maybe I should go to university)

The thing is, I got stuck about half way through the book, unable to work out how to implement the Java conversion to PHP. It was deadly, I put the book down.

I learned a lot about design patterns, pizzas and coffee, but since found much better real world examples on php blogs of the various gurus I follow.

I cant wait for a real PHP patterns book to come out that matches the clarity and depth of Head First, but in the meantime is there anyone out there who did similar, and is willing to share the Java example code of Head First written in PHP?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with a book could be that a problem and solution aren't explained well. In that case, throw the book out and get a better one.

In case the problem and possible solution are explained well, i can only advise to learn your programming language better so you can "translate" the idea to code.

I can agree with the fact that you may find a book with patterns that are common in a webapplication environment may be more useful than one on patterns in a medical environment. But, i would prefer to see the examples in UML / (E)ERD instead of %insert your language here%. I think those tools are much better suited for the given problem (== representing an idea/thought solution for a problem).

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In case the problem and possible solution are explained well, i can only advise to learn your programming language better so you can "translate" the idea to code.

Thanks so much for that advice. Learning the language, good idea, I just wondered if there was anyone else who had decided to likewise "learn the language" who had taken a similar path to me? Trying to grock the principles of patterns, and create concrete examples?

Sometimes one takes a risk to learn, I decided that the Head First book was more palatable than the GOF book, probably like many others, but are their any PHP programmers who did that?