Thread: need help

SitePoint Evangelist Expressweb's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

need help

Hello Im in some what confusion

Q1>Is it possible for a web hosting seller , selling space on shared web hosting to read the pop3 emails of his clients without knowing the passwords of client's email

Q2> Well Im in a habbit of using my pop3 through Outlook but when I login to my webmail (horde) I don't see any email (old) which are there in my outlook inbox

So it is possible for my webhosting company , when he download the the mails through any email client , they can be able to download the old emails as well ??

Q3> is there any way to trace the users using any pop3 email account

recently while downloading my pop3email with outlook I got a message saying that " pop3 server not responding there may be another email client trying to download the email from the pop3 server"

Im Scarred therefore asking these questions

SitePoint Evangelist Expressweb's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A local web hosting service provider told me the it is impossible for any web hosting provider to read and access the pop3 email account of any of his client without knowing password ..

What is ur say ?

Application Developer shabbirbhimani's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Q1>Is it possible for a web hosting seller , selling space on shared web hosting to read the pop3 emails of his clients without knowing the passwords of client's email
    No idea
    Q2> Well Im in a habbit of using my pop3 through Outlook but when I login to my webmail (horde) I don't see any email (old) which are there in my outlook inbox
    Probably because you have kept the option in outlook to delete the mails from the server and so once you get them in Outlook they are deleted from the server and you cant see them with horde.

3MTA3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Expressweb
    They could probably download the raw files and move them to their own folder to read. That would bypass the users passwords. I am able to do that with my own reseller's account that I have for my own sites.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Expressweb
    Yes, this is entirely possible for the email server administrator, especially if the mail server does not encrypt the incoming messages. Most email servers that I have dealt with are storing messages as text files. They can be opened with any text editor.
    RocketFlow - Premium Hosting Services
    http://www.rocketflow.com