SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

CSS & JS/DOM Adept bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would using a 2nd table be more efficient?

For example, let's say that I have a table with 100 rows and 15 columns. I need to add 3 more columns, but maybe only about 30% of the rows will actually have data in those 3 columns.

Would it be more efficient to use a second table of 4 or 5 columns instead of adding 3 columns to the first table?
    We miss you, Dan Schulz.
    Learn CSS. | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator
    Dynamic Site Solutions
    Code for Firefox, Chrome, Safari, & Opera, then add fixes for IE, not vice versa.

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    probably not
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. The performance hit is mostly associated with reading the row rather than the data within when selecting. It's better to store it in 1 table rather than 2. But, if it is something like an authentication which is checked on each page, and it's between having a fixed table length rather than dynamic, than yes 2 tables would be better, but other than that no.

CSS & JS/DOM Adept bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your replies.

I forgot to mention that the columns types will be some combination of int, varchar, and datetime.

Quote Originally Posted by ShytKicka
    It's better to store it in 1 table rather than 2. But, if it is something like an authentication which is checked on each page, and it's between having a fixed table length rather than dynamic, than yes 2 tables would be better, but other than that no.
    Would you please explain that further?

The table is being used to store user information, which is accessed on almost every page request.
    We miss you, Dan Schulz.
    Learn CSS. | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator
    Dynamic Site Solutions
    Code for Firefox, Chrome, Safari, & Opera, then add fixes for IE, not vice versa.

reads the ********* Crier silver trophybronze trophy longneck's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's (marginally) faster to retrieve a fixed-length row than a variable-length row. if the table you're adding to already has any variable-length columns in it, don't worry about creating a second table. variable length types include, but are not limited to, varcahr, text, and blob.

or, if you need any of the columns you are adding frequently, then definitely don't put them in a second table.