User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much could I get with this website?selling at E-bay

hi,
    I am not sure if this is the right place to post this kind of message. oh, well, I have developed this ASP based site in the last couple months hoping to get it started, but now that it is really near to be finished I realise that I may not be enough smart and that I do not have enough time to get it going since I am not a full time webmaster. So I thought about placing it on E-bay and see If I could get something out of it. I saw people paying hundreds/thousands for a stupid domain name there, so I hope to get good money out of it. How much do you think I could set the lowest bid?
    http://www.pixelseyes.com/

Thank you
    ps-sorry if this is not the correct forum.

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should think about what you think it is worth and how much you feel is a fair price.

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I can't really evaluate the site because the menus at the top don't work, but generally the method used to value sites is how much they make in a year. It doesn't look like you're making any money now (no ads) so it might be best to put up some ads (and put ads on the remotely hosted code) and run it yourself for a while. Then, when you have more visitors, sell it. I doubt that anyone is going to be able to sell a site that they made for themselves (as opposed to a client) with very little traffic (since you just started).

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

errr..

the menu doesnt work ??? what browser are you using? I tested it with with a couple versions of IE and with Netscape.

Well, I know I don't get visitors. In fact I didn't expect to be paid a lot. The price would basically be only for the source files. No guarantee on the possibility to get that site successeful. Just wanted to know what would be a price for a similar offer. I really can't think one myself.

I think maybe I will take your suggestion. Maybe get it promoted for a while and then try selling it...

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using IE5 on Win2k. When I click my mouse on the link (to start the menu) it says "start submenu" but doesn't do anything.

Anyways, good luck with your site!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tested it also with that browser version and it works great. I have implemented special functions just to make sure it works also with that browser. Nothing should happen when you click on the link. But a rounded corners menu should appear below the link when you onmouseover the link.
    Are you sure yopu have JavaScript enabled?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may also want to correct spelling errors on your site. I noticed category was spelled cathegory. It's very important to have correct spelling and grammar if you want it to look professional.

Best of luck with your site.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know, I was about to pay an english person to rewrite the site for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please forgive me. Your English here was excellent so I didn't realize English was not your native language.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eh eh np at all! but damn, I always thought that cathegory should be spelled like that and not category. Thanks for letting me know about this mistake

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    personaly speaking and i am being critical...

you are likely to get more money for the domain then the site..
    and even then you MAY only get $100+

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are you sure of that?
    I mean, I spent quite a lot of time on that site. There is a basic web directory script, wich alone could range from 50$ to 150$. There is a full featured member area for both 1st level admins and 2nd level ones.
    Believe me it has not been really a joke to develope it. If I built that site for someone who paid me to do that I (and every developer here) would have asked for far more than 1000$ considering the time I spent on it.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd of never guessed that you weren't an english speaker either!

Unfortunately, tabsquare the amount of time you spend developing the site doesn't seem to matter in today's economy. Web sites, even one's with lots of development into them, are being valued at lower and lower prices.

Don't let the stars get in your eyes. Check out the actual sales at Ebay and the SitePoint Marketplace here to compare wiat comperable Web sites are going for - typically $100-$500 unless they have something really special going for them.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you are able to get a BIG price for your site!
    Total Life Success - Don't give in. Succeed. (tm)

Total Life Success Forums - the Web's Leading
    Success Community™

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine if it was a bricks and mortar business.

If it isn't making money, if it's not a commercially viable business and if it's not professional then it wouldn't be worth much right?

I could spend a lot of time advertising and working on a Gardening business but if it wasn't turning profit or if I had no business it would be worth not very much at all.

I think with your website, it could be valued at a hobbyist level. I don't think you could get much for it so your best bet would be to pitch it at a commercial website. Sell it to them as an extension to what they currently offer. It would be worth more to them.

I haven't looked through your web site extensively but by the sounds of things you need to spend a little more effort on it before you try to sell it - It needs to be attractive to potential buyers.
    Last edited by Tommy Lai; Jul 25, 2001 at 03:15.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to let you know -

my friend sold a humor website that was making no money, and only had 100-150 uniques a day for $660 on ebay.

So, yes, you do have a chance...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think you'll find a lot of value in the domain, in my opinion it's more tricky to remember and easily mistaken for variations of it like pixeleye, pixeleyes, etc. Pixelseyes sounds a bit of a tongue twister. As for the site there's still quite a few similar established sites that offer some pretty serious competition. I wouldn't dismiss the chance that someone with deep pockets might see an idea and jump on it, but you know what they say about holding your breath.
    Everything has been figured out, except how to live. - Jean-Paul Sartre (1905-1980)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say $200 maximum... good luck with the sale./
    Tutorials Search Engine: FindTutorials