SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Comments on the upcoming PHP 5.5/6.0..

So, i guess you should have heared about all the fuss it's going around for the new upcoming major version of PHP.
    Andrei Zmievski has been working on implementing Unicode support since Wednesday. The whole project was completed yesterday (Friday).

Derick Rethans has also blogged about it earlier the same day and has suggested that the new version should be named 6.0! I think this is amazing. I mean sure Unicode support "is quite a drastic change" but this is only a year after the official PHP 5 release. I mean wow.

Yesterday, Rasmus Lerdorf has announced about the new features in the upcoming release in the same blog and here are some of theme:
    1. Remove register_globals completely

2. Remove magic_quotes_*

3. Add input filter extension which will include a mechanism for
    application developers to very easily turn it off which would swap
    the raw GPC arrays back in case the site had it turned on by default.

4. Include an opcode cache by default. A lot of work has gone into
    pecl/apc recently, but I am not hung up on which one goes in.

5. Remove safe_mode and focus on open_basedir

6. Remove some stuff that has been marked deprecated since PHP 3/4

A couple of others that we could consider, but I don't actually think
    wins us much apart from academic purity (which I have never been all
    that keen on) are:

7. Make identifiers case-sensitive

8. Remove various function aliases
    Check all the replies on that thread as quite a few people are suggesting some interesting new features and some comments on the ones mentioned above.

I want to hear your comments on this.. It sure like it will bring some people back to the PHP! Very interesting new features and best of all USEFULL ones!
    Don't Drink & Surf The Net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Agreed.

2. Definitely Agreed! I can't even think of a good reason why they added it in the first place. It has only caused problems for me.

3. Don't know

4. Don't know

5. Probably a good thing

6. Wouldn't be a bad thing to do, clean everything up a bit

7. Sure, could be useful

8. Can't see any problems with this.

Seems like a pretty good release, especially with Unicode support. But it's a bit soon after PHP5. Most web hosts haven't even adopted PHP5, and they're already talking about PHP6?
    Dennis Pallett - NoCertainty - My Personal Weblog
    The Web Network: ASPit | PHPit | WebDev-Articles
    Blogs: TalkFones | Holidayzer | PHPit Blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are some pretty cool changes, though like Kings said, it does seem a bit too soon.
    -Melchior (Stephen Craton)

SitePoint Evangelist dmsuperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the suggestions, great ideas. I suppose they do need to wait longer for this to happen though, even if they somehow manage to finish it soon. As for unicode support...what's that?
    <(^.^<) \(^.^\) (^.^) (/^.^)/ (>^.^)>
    Core 2 Duo E8400 clocked @ 3.375GHz, 2x2GB 800MHz DDR2 RAM
    5x SATA drives totalling 2.5TB, 7900GS KO, 6600GT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also not sure on that, dmsuperman.. I'd like an explanation on that, too.
    Don't Drink & Surf The Net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unicode is a character encoding standard developed by the Unicode Consortium. The aim of the standard is to provide universal way of encoding characters of any language, regardless of the computer system, or platform, being used. The core of Unicode, known as the Basic Multilingual Plane, contains space for over 65,000 characters. These include some 49000 characters from the world's languages, include letters from alphabets, ideographs used in writing systems such as Chinese, and other characters such as currency and mathematical symbols. In addition to these, space is available for custom use, and supplementary code points are available for characters
    www.etext.leeds.ac.uk/cocoon/glossary.xml
    Hope that helps some.
    -Melchior (Stephen Craton)

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently PHP supports Unicode, somewhat. Take a look at this excellent post about it:

http://www.phpwact.org/php/i18n/charsets?s=utf8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are some really nice new features. Although Unicode is a big step forward, I still feel it is too early for V6.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you wait for most current webhosts to upgrade to php5, it'll be 10 years from now.

It's probably a good thing that a v6 comes out, because that will help persuade them to upgrade.

As many projects can testify, keeping your project at one version for too long makes people uncomfortable from moving from that version, and so your hard work and improvements don't get rewarded and used as soon as you like.
    This is a viral sig. Copy me and help me spread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll be a few years before I start to take 6 seriously. 5 hasn't even caught on yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the new version will be awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love php and I dont even code in it .. hmm .. does that make me wierd or just a geek.

Acutally, its mambo's fault

Good luck to all with the new release!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see how hosting companies are supposed to upgrade from PHP4 to PHP6 (or even PHP5) if this would cause half of their customer sites on the server not to work anymore. Many, many sites are running scripts written years ago, relying on register_globals/magic_quotes and such.

If there is no backward compatibility then what we will see is hosts running different versions of PHP at the same time. Several hosts already offer PHP4 and PHP5 as options. Due to this I think the PHP developers will almost be forced to support PHP4 for quite a few years to come.

SitePoint Enthusiast Buddha443556's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHP5 was released over a year ago with half way deceit backwards compatibility however not one of my host have upgraded yet. Along comes PHP6 backwards compatibility questionable to shaky with PHP4 and PHP5 ... just how far behind do they think they can leave the hosting community?

OpCode Cache!!! I've been waiting for that. Wonder how Zend feels about that addition?

eschew sesquipedalians silver trophy sweatje's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archbob
    It'll be a few years before I start to take 6 seriously. 5 hasn't even caught on yet.
    There are comments on the internals list that they want to roll unicode support by the end of the year.
    Jason Sweat ZCE - jsweat_php@yahoo.com
    Book: PHP Patterns
    Good Stuff: SimpleTest PHPUnit FireFox ADOdb YUI
    Detestable (adjective): software that isn't testable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont think releasing too many versions at once is a good idea. i think they should hold out on 6, and keep adding onto it and testing it and such untill the time comes to release it, then it will be a feasable upgrade, and same goes for next versions.

lets say php 6 had 5 new features, and instead of releasing it they held out for like a year more. and then when the working version 6 is release it had 20 new features

i just thing releasing too many versions at once, or so close to gether can cause people to be ill at php, and cause alot of confusion. spcialy for noobs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And here we are trying to get our heads around PHP5.x for crying out loud they throw new updates/releases and patches around like they were made by thousands....

Cool, a new update, but waaaaaay to early people, i haven't finished your book yet mr. Gutmans...
    Business as usual is off the menu folks, ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4. Include an opcode cache by default. A lot of work has gone into
    pecl/apc recently, but I am not hung up on which one goes in.

pretty please with a cherry on top....

not sure how Zend will feel about that one though ?

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would agree that priority number one is to get hosts to move to PHP 5 long before they think about PHP 6. I would support a release of PHP 5.5 because that communicates "Service Pack" to hosts who are unusre of the stability and reliability of PHP 5. It makes it seem like a more mature product. I've been coding in 5 for several months now and find it very reliable, but hosts, particularly hosts who concern themselves more with the business and systems administration and not in dev work themselves, don't know yet what to make of PHP 5 and so they don't yet know how stable and mature it is. I think the PHP group might have shot themselves in the foot, or perhaps allowed themselves to be shot in the foot, with alot of negative PR when it was in development and beta stages. It's harder to recover from negative "buzz".
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

011110010110000101111001 jabird's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geez, I'm just now getting a grasp on OOP, and the new PHP5 features, and they're already talking about PHP6?

Come on people, stick with 5 for a while, then, as many others said, upgrade to 6 when you have alot of new features. If it is PHP6, I will upgrade, but thats only because I'm my own host, so only my scripts won't work, and they're all just theory and only about 20 people in this world know they exist :P.

If I where hosting multiple people, I'd still have mostly PHP4, and PHP5 as an option.

They should stay in 5 for a while in my opinion, its way too soon.
    ~Jabird
    Jabird.com
    If I were binary... I'd be all 1's for you.
    BBCode trouble?

SitePoint Enthusiast Buddha443556's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch
    I would agree that priority number one is to get hosts to move to PHP 5 long before they think about PHP 6. I would support a release of PHP 5.5 because that communicates "Service Pack" to hosts who are unusre of the stability and reliability of PHP 5. It makes it seem like a more mature product.
    Hosts aren't going to consider the addition of an OpCode Cache anything other than a major new version. Probably goes the same for anything that breaks backwards compatibility.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think 6 would be very good. Just like when Macromedia released MX, it wasn't long enough when MX 2004 was out.

However, though it isn't really the most optimized way to go about it, but if there was complete backwards compatibility, then web host's wouldn't mind moving to 6 asap.

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kabatak
    I think 6 would be very good. Just like when Macromedia released MX, it wasn't long enough when MX 2004 was out.

However, though it isn't really the most optimized way to go about it, but if there was complete backwards compatibility, then web host's wouldn't mind moving to 6 asap.
    First of all, comparing a Programming Language change to an application change are like comparing apples to oranges.

Second of all, PHP 5, except in rare instances, does exactly that... preserves backwards compatibility. It's been in stable mode for over a year and most hosts still run PHP 4. Your utopian view on these things doesn't exactly bear with it historical support.
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unicode would be cool. I went through hell trying to write a multi-language newsletter distribution system, which had to support huge UTF-8 and UTF-16 imports/exports and stupidly complex sending rules in my previous job. For various reasons we ended up redoing it in Perl and even then, certain vital Perl features didn't seem to support unicode properly. So glad I escaped.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds great! Although, its really soon.
    Steven Watkins
    Chief Web Ninja
    Code Monkey Interactive
    lowgravity.ca