SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

midnight coder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel really guilty now...

My friend made a guest book script in PHP, and uploaded it to his site and I was the first to know about it. Unfortunately it didn't have any functions to strip codes from the input, so I submited the following message:

<script language="JavaScript">
    while (1==1) {
    alert ("Click me for more popup boxes")
    }
    </script>

What mean things have you done in your coding career?

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The webmaster at my college is notorious for being arrogant and self-centered. He's also very prone to copying other people's work (mine) and claiming it as his own. I volunteer to work on several different departments' web pages and to prevent him from stealing those and putting his name on them, I put a script on it that locks up your computer if you try to steal the graphics. I dont know how many times I saw his computer sitting in the service/repair shop

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ahhh yes

Cool. Sparkie. Wicked
    I was looking at an outdoor website (no, not literally an outdoor website but ABOUT outdoor things) but it had a box that popped up if you tried to save anything or rightclick anything. Worked good, and sounded similar to what you did.

Okay, okay how exactly did you do it, would you be able to tell me or is it a 'trade secret?'. Keep up the good (or mean as it may be) work

Bimbo With A Brain! silver trophy Saz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never done anything 'nasty' computer or internet wise, but I was party to many a wind-up while I was in the Army. The Newbies, or Joskins as we used to call them, fresh from training, would cop it big time - like it was some kind of initiation.

This is one of the funniest I can remember -

Anybody fresh out of training had to 'double-bank' for their first week. They'd be partnered up with a more experienced operator, and, for the first couple of days, would listen in and watch how the job was done. Then for the last part of the week they'd take over the job and be constantly supervised by the op' they'd been partnered with. Now, one particular Joskin got sent down to the kitchen to make the teas and coffees and while he was gone his 'partner' turned down the brilliance and contrast on the monitor (this was back in the late 80's when screens were dark green and text was that horrible glowing green colour). Now, when this Joskin got back, he was greeted with a rather red faced, angry looking operator who was bashing the side of his monitor and cursing like nobody's business. He told this poor lad that the monitor went suddenly dead and that he thought it might need a new bulb which they didn't have! Little Joskin then got sent to another office where they just happen to have the same type of monitor to see if they have any green monitor bulbs. The whole place was linked with intercoms, so we got in touch with the other office to let them know what was going on. They played along beautifully. Told him they'd just used up their last green one and only had red ones left but that they might have some down in the Stores. So, of Joskin trots, all the way to the other side of the barracks to the Quatermaster's Stores. Yep, you guessed it - they were tipped off too! Told him all they had was white ones and to take one of them to see if it was any good, so with a big grin on his face, thinking he'd saved the day, Joskin returned to work with a bog standard 60 watt lightbulb!!!!
    Saz: Naturally Blonde, Naturally Dizzy!
    No longer Editor of the Community Crier.

Don't mind me, I'm having a BLONDE moment!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i remember

i didn't think id done somthing bad.

But yes i remember

What we did to all the computers at school was to take a screen shot of the screen, set it as the background image, hide the taskbar, and all is well. Until you actually try to do anything. haha Took the computer guy quite a while to figure out....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice one Gavin!

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was younger I was notorious for locking up PCs in shops. I'd write a batch file something along the lines of:

start:
    @echo Help! I'm going insane!
    goto start

and then run it, and watch the computer crash. CTRL and Break seemed too much for the PC World staff to manage

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hehehehe nice trick Gavin! I should try that one sometime

The javascript was one I found at javascripts.com before it was taken over by Earthweb. I'm not sure if its still there...

Another nice trick I pulled when I was 15 involved my journalism teacher. She had been writing a rather lengthy report about something, and when she left the room to go get a disk to save it on, a friend and I installed one of those screensavers that makes it look like all your work is being sucked down a drain. As soon as she came back, we shouted "Hey, something's wrong with the computer!" You should've heard that woman scream...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My stepbrother was messing around with me more than I would have liked, so I wrote a small script that sent him the same email around 500 times in a couple minutes. I ended up doing it a few times...he doesn't mess around with me anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TWTCommish
    My stepbrother was messing around with me more than I would have liked, so I wrote a small script that sent him the same email around 500 times in a couple minutes. I ended up doing it a few times...he doesn't mess around with me anymore.
    You mean he didn't do anything to get you back?! I would have!

Making a better wheel silver trophy DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: ahhh yes

Originally posted by platinum
    I was looking at an outdoor website (no, not literally an outdoor website but ABOUT outdoor things) but it had a box that popped up if you tried to save anything or rightclick anything. Worked good, and sounded similar to what you did.
    i hate those sites. thinking they can stop me from right clicking... you know it's really easy to get around?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get me back? Naw. It wasn't a big deal to him. You see, he's not a big computer user...he's not a total geek, so he doesn't mind things like that as much as you or I would. He's fairly savvy in comparison to most, but he doesn't do anything timely or important online, so he wasn't really mad...just a bit annoyed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This one is fun too!

Code:
    Private Sub Form_Load()
    While 1 = 1
    Do
    Shell ("C:\windows\notepad.exe")
    Loop
    Wend
    End Sub
    Put that in your VB and compile it!
    http://www.freecfm.com/p/prmagic/
    --my small personal site *sigh*
    If you'd like to write Articles(for the site), email me!

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Saz249
    ...while I was in the Army. The Newbies, or Joskins as we used to call them, fresh from training, would cop it big time - like it was some kind of initiation....
    When I was in the Army we used to do the same. Except we'd make them run down to the stores for a "long weight". Of course, the storeman would say "Sure, I'll just go look for one"
    <time passes>
    <more time passes>
    <now you know why it's called a long weight...>
    "Sorry, none in stock, but the RQMS in the store on the other side of camp has got one".
    So off they'd trot, to the other side of camp. Used to keep 'em amused for hours.

Sometimes for variety the stores guys would say "I've got one, but you'll need to run back to your unit and get their can of camouflage paint they borrowed first".

For those who don't get it, there's no such thing. Camouflage is made up of all different colours of paint, right?
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by hillsy

When I was in the Army we used to do the same. Except we'd make them run down to the stores for a "long weight". Of course, the storeman would say "Sure, I'll just go look for one"
    <time passes>
    <more time passes>
    <now you know why it's called a long weight...>
    "Sorry, none in stock, but the RQMS in the store on the other side of camp has got one".
    So off they'd trot, to the other side of camp. Used to keep 'em amused for hours.

Sometimes for variety the stores guys would say "I've got one, but you'll need to run back to your unit and get their can of camouflage paint they borrowed first".

For those who don't get it, there's no such thing. Camouflage is made up of all different colours of paint, right?
    <sighs>Oh those were the days!</sighs>. I'm supposed to be a sensible mum now, so I don't do things like that anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: I feel really guilty now...

Originally posted by Robo
    Unfortunately it didn't have any functions to strip codes from the input, so I submited the following message:

<script language="JavaScript">
    while (1==1) {
    alert ("Click me for more popup boxes")
    }
    </script>

This is soo Common someone did this on the Evrsoft Guestbook that was meant for comments about Firstpage 3 and what people wanted added. Anyway it said that Evrsoft where no longer working on it and other rude messages. Fooled a lot of people there I can tell you .
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well i got a good one.. back when AOL was on version 3.0 if you sent someone a Instant Message that said <font size="%%%%%%%%..."> it would knock them offline..

you would actually fill size attribute with as many percent signs as the message would let you.

i ussually did this to arrogant people who would come in and try to rule the chat room with the cheesy "punter" programs that they used to have on aol..
    Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LoL! Hey, punters were awesome before AOL 5! But you had to have a good punter. At the time I didn't know this, but back then (and somewhat now) AOL IM was capable of interpreting HTML coding in the IM windows; you put a lot of that in the windows, you could knock people offline. I think the only reason punters were popular was because they could do more than just copying and pasting by hand would allow you to. You could send more IM messages and more characters and everything. Oh well, AOL kicked me off so I had to find a new ISP (BTW this was about three years ago when I was 14, so don't look at me like I'm some idiot). As I look back, I'm glad, because I firmly believe that if I would have stayed with AOL, I would think that "AOL is the Internet" and I would never have started with web development.
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm on AOL... but only because that's the only solution for me (no other ISP do the unlimited thing in France yet, and I'm too far to have DSL). Yet I do not use the interface at all, I just keep it minimized in a corner.

Mean things I've done... not many, not any that I recall actually. But a friend of mine used to impersonate a woman on IRC and a guy would believe it. That joke lasted some time, we made the guy travel a lot (200+ km each time) several times just to meet the imaginary woman. It was a bit mean, I guess
    [blogger: zengun] [blogware contributor: wordpress]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Erm..what's a punter?

I haven't been on AOL since the days of 1.0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a punter program was a program that would let you knock someone using aol offline.. they were cheesy though, most of them didn't work. All i had to do with the code above was send it once (maybe twice) and boom they were gone.
    Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know of 2 keywords on AOL that can be fun sometimes. One will knock you offline and one will lock up your machine (only works for PCs though).

There is also another window that I know about that says "Yield To My Greatness, You Pathetic FOOL!" with only one button that reads "I Yield Master" and that's the only way to close the window. It's excellent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Saz249
    ...like it was some kind of initiation.
    When my mate joind the army he said they did this thing where they lined up the newbies and cut a slit on the bridge of their noses - the last one whose blood hit the floor had to clean the toilets (or something) - nice!

I am eternally grateful to him for introducing me to SitePoint - he's training to be a police orrifice now...

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: i remember

Originally posted by platinum
    i didn't think id done somthing bad.

But yes i remember

What we did to all the computers at school was to take a screen shot of the screen, set it as the background image, hide the taskbar, and all is well. Until you actually try to do anything. haha Took the computer guy quite a while to figure out....
    HA HA HA I used to do that one too!