SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please review my medical antiques site (-:

Thanks for you help with this site. I'm new and not really at all techie. This was bolted together with Frontpage. I do sell stuff but don't want a cart as it is not a heavily commercial site and serves a narrow audience.

One thing that is driving me nuts is the small black line which separates the 'Phisick' logo on the top left when view with Mozilla, but which is not visible in IE browsers. I cannot get rid of it and would appreciate any advice on this ... or any other pointers re general design/functionality.

Phisick Medical Antiques

Your comments much appreciated.

Laurie

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked the overall layout which was clear. It took me a while to work out where the search box was because I had to scroll down. Maybe that should be nearer the top.

There was a bit too much writing on the front page for me to want to read. If it could be broken down into bullet points that would make it better.

Finally, not sure that black is the best background colour because it is difficult to read text.

Good start.

Mongols of the world, unite! Lira's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless it's too much of a hassle, I'd advise you not to rely on tables in order to have your lay-out organised. Instead, use CSS with its div hotness so you can have more control over this kind of stuff.

In your case, I just noticed that the image with the black line is divided in halves, and that the line is just the "gap" between them. Try playing with "margin-left: 0px" in the right cell and "margin-right: 0px" in the left one. That could work, I reckon. If this doesn't work, I reckon it's time to get started on CSS and its positioning beauty.

Nice start, nonetheless

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not bad there. could do with some nice css layout though to help it along

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Here's my first impression on your site:

- nice domain name
    - nice layout, very clean and pleasant
    - you could place the search form at the top of your page on all pages

All in all it's a great start and everything is simple and focused on your target.

Good luck with it mate!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recommendations-Changes http://www.phisick.com

http://www.phisick.com
    Homepage:‎
    ‎1) How to use this site, second paragraph:‎
    Change “Enquiries” to “Inquiries”.‎

‎2) Consider alternate frame color other than black – too drab.‎

‎3) Home Page: Consider thinner borders or no borders for the pictures; if you remove the box ‎around the pictures, you may be able to slightly increase the size of the pictures to see a little ‎more detail.‎

‎4) Consider bolding the last sentence in the "letter" to the audience to make it stand out and maybe make it slightly larger: ‎maybe add a script font signature (Large font) or real signature above the sentence to make it look like a personal ‎letter to the Internet Audience.
    I hope you enjoy your visit - Laurie Slater

‎5) Consider moving the “Search” link up to the top before or after “Links”; when the page comes ‎up the “Search” is the only obscured link on the home page.

Links Page:‎
    Consider changing the color of the Link Titles to BLACK instead of GRAY.
    Hope this helps!‎

Quote Originally Posted by lslater
    Thanks for you help with this site. I'm new and not really at all techie. This was bolted together with Frontpage. I do sell stuff but don't want a cart as it is not a heavily commercial site and serves a narrow audience.

One thing that is driving me nuts is the small black line which separates the 'Phisick' logo on the top left when view with Mozilla, but which is not visible in IE browsers. I cannot get rid of it and would appreciate any advice on this ... or any other pointers re general design/functionality.

Phisick Medical Antiques

Your comments much appreciated.

Laurie

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At high resolutions there is a gap betwen the left bar image and the top bar image causing a black line separating your logo. This is due to margins and alignments. make sure the image in the left side bar is aligned to the right and the image in the top bar is aligned to the left. Make sure margin is set to 0 for all relevant cells.

Other than that the site appears technically fine. I'd do something with the search box though, if you look at sites like ebay the box is in the very rop right - maybe this would be an idea - putting the search box right-aligened in the top bar.

You have a beautiful collection of instruments.

SitePoint Evangelist webfreebies's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I definitely like the feel of the site-- color scheme, graphics, etc.

But your side border is WAYYYYYYYYYYY too thin! Please-- you should make it at least 140px or 20% wide. Your header might be a little too thin, too... pump it up to at least 60px or so.

Why would you put the description of each picture on your site inside of the "alt" tag and not write it to the web page itself? I don't understand the logic behind this.

You might want to put your search button closer to the top of your web site and not dead bottom.

But I like it. The theme goes very well with this site.
    Retro-Ads.net- vintage ads from the 20s-80s.
    NYC-Pics.com- free photos of NYC

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the thin border.. For some reason this reminds me of my companys intranet site.. just try to fill up the small meny area maybe and it'll look good and possibly mess with colors, i'm not too sure if i like the black and white kinda thing.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the simplistic design of this web site. I looks fine on firefix with a 1280x1024 resolution.

This site is very effective for navagation as well as being very informative.

While not being the most techniqual site ever, it is very effective for its intended purpose.