SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

where to buy unix

where can I buy Unix? I can't find it anywhere. Also is freeBSD sun OS?
    Free Science Homework Help
    http://www.physicsforums.com

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dethfire, there are many flavours of Unix that are all more or less the same OS but for different architectures. Generally Unix distributions are therefor provided by the hardware vendor for their hardware.

If you want to run a Unix OS on your PC then the choice is between one of the many distributions of Linux or BSD. (I'm sure there are others such as Sun Solaris, but you won't be intersted in those).

Some (I say some as there are so many) distrobutions of Linux are: Redhat, Madrake, SuSe, Slackware, Caldera, and there are plenty more.

Some flavours of BSD are FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD.

Linux is popular because most of the distros package the core OS as well as a choice of different GUI desktop environments (KDE and/or GNOME) and a whole heap of bells and whistles that PC users will be used to. BSD is popular OS for a web server because some argue it is more robust and secure.

As for getting your hands on Linux. Where I live, their is a popular (unofficial, but perfectly legal) set of CDs (that include RedHat and Mandrake) and pocket guide that you can pick up from any newsagency for about US$10. While you can dl and install Linux over the net, it is much easier (and quicker) to get a cheap distro on CD.

Here is one place to get info about the different Linux distros
    http://linux.tucows.com/distribution.html

Others that are bigger Linux heads than me will probably have some better links.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so unix is the same as linux and BSD. I always thouht they were different platforms.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are... Linux is not the same as Unix but they are similar enough that many people lump them together.

The main difference is that UNIX is a lot more scalable than Linux and is capable enough to run on PC's to the largest MainFrames. You would use the same AIX (Advanced IBM uniX) cd's to install that OS on a PC (with one processor) as you would an AS/400 (but these have OS/400 as well, which simply wipes the floor with Unix) or an RS/6000 (with 64 processors).

Most applications available for Unix will run on Linux but not all of them. Many large scale enterprise applications or those that use low end registers must be recompiled for each OS.

Unless you are running a large server with 8 or more processors, Linux will most likely suit your needs. Without the added cost of running a Unix system (AIX costs like $1000, HP/UX and Sun Solaris are also pricey).

note: Apple used to sell a version of unix for the Mac also called AIX. Which was short for Apple unIX.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm not running any servers I would just like to experiemnt with unix and learn how to navigate around. Something new to fool around with and put on my resume. So should I get linux or unix?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go LINUX - you can download the ISO images FREE from their websites! RedHat is my personal fav but that's just opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but see red hat linux is just like windows, there is nothing to learn. i want a cheap unix and have to navigate with prompts and stuff.

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any of the Linux or BSD distrobutions can be navigated using the command prompt only (just turn off X).

Go with Slackware for Linux or FreeBSD and OpenBSD for BSD. Slackware is actually a hybrid of Linux and BSD which is why I recommend it. I really like its old school installation and interface.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to have a huge Sun that could run Unix, it was as big as my bathroom, got it given to me from some guy at Cardiff University!

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whenever I need inspiration I go and stand in the datacenter at work with all the IBM/HP/SGI "big iron".

No-one makes cooler-looking servers than SGI

Oops.... OT.

For experimenting, grab Linux (whatever version suits). Or BSD which is far cooler and based upon the original UC Berkeley Unix.

A good tip for Linux is buy one of those books on how to use it. They almost always come with a CD of Linux itself - so you get a manual and the software.
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by W. Luke
    note: Apple used to sell a version of unix for the Mac also called AIX. Which was short for Apple unIX. [/B]
    They sell another one now. OS X
    that's me!

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by hillsy

They sell another one now. OS X
    Unfortunately, I don't have a viable reason to spend $3000 - $5000 dollars just so I can run a new OS.

And don't even mention iMac to me... My toaster (the burning bread kind) is more expandable.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL
    that's me!