Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by freddydoesphp

And furthermore, any company with an ad like:

Must know ASP, JSP, Servlets, PHP, ColdFusion, IIS, Apache, Soalris, Java, Javascript, DHTML, HTML, Python, PERL, MCSE, Oracle, SQL Server, etc....

Doesn't sound like a very fun place to learn, since they obviously have no clue what each one of things are. Just my 2 cents.
    Amen! I think most of the time all they do is list buzz words.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, here's my dilemma: I love programming but I also love Internet so I decided to be a Web Developer. I do need certs since my school is also a business giant (SIEMENS) and as I could see, certs helped a lot of people to get a higher position. I know knowledge is all you need, but I also think that certs won't hurt you (in particular those coming from Microsoft, Novell, Cisco, Oracle, etc). So my problem here is: What should I do??. Which certs should I take?
    TIA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I think certification is a most now a days. They can help you get a foot in the door, plus some employers won't even look at you if you don't have that piece of paper to wave around, regardless of true skill or ability
    .NET Code Monkey

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would anyone sane person want to work for a company that would hire a piece of paper over experience? I surely wouldn't, but I guess everyone is different and thats what makes the world go round. Believe me I used to work for a company like that, it lasted about 1 month before I found a really company who was more impressed by experience and example than the fact I have no college and barely graduated high school.
    Please don't PM me with questions.
    Use the forums, that is what they are here for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by freddydoesphp
    Why would anyone sane person want to work for a company that would hire a piece of paper over experience? I surely wouldn't, but I guess everyone is different and thats what makes the world go round. Believe me I used to work for a company like that, it lasted about 1 month before I found a really company who was more impressed by experience and example than the fact I have no college and barely graduated high school.
    Very true, this has been my experience that certification is often a most.

Now that I got my certification (even though it's as a Network Tech) I find it alot easier .
    .NET Code Monkey