SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Free STMP server question.

Can somebody please answer this to me.

How does a stand alone application 'Free STMP Server' or other STMP servers that run on you pc work. Do they just simply run of your windows or outlook settings to connect to outlook's selected STMP server. Or does it truly acts as an STMP server and relays the pushed on message as a node.

Thank you.

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outlook doesn't have an SMTP server. It acts as a server that you can point Outlook too and it will send your mail out on port 25 or however it is configured.
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So does it just push stuff to the server which is in Outlook's settings. Cause I know that you set up your outlook to push to a SMTP server, I know that Outlook is not an actual SMTP server.

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outlook will push the message to the SMTP server which will then route the message to your recipient.

SMTP servers usually have an open port that listens for valid SMTP traffic from e-mail clients.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct.

I'm talking about a piece of software that you download which acts as SMTP server. I want to know how it passes the msg. There are a number of free one's on the net. The one I use is Free SMTP Server. I don't think im wording my question right. Does it automaticaly push to the server which is configured somewhere in the setting of the current machine, or some SMTP server is hardcode in the app. and it posts there?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. I know what you are saying. I use PostCast Server for my SMTP needs.

I guess I am misunderstanding your question. SMTP is not a setting or anything like that, it's simply a protocol, a gateway to send messages. The SMTP server takes a message from the e-mail client, looks at the "to" field, and then finds the best route for it through the internet to reach its destination.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok if I am to download PostCast Server, and set my php.ini to SMTP = localhost.

When I use sendmail in php, it will go to PostCast Server. Then where? Which nodes does it hit next? Which next SMTP server or node will get the msg next?

EDIT: I guess a better question is that these apps. such as PostCast. Do they act like a true server. They find the best route, or does it find some other SMTP server to push the msg on, which takes care of the rest.

Thanks for your time.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, PostCast is a true server. It finds the best route and sends your message that way. It does not just look for an open SMTP server and send the message there. As far as I know that's considered open relaying and could get people in big trouble.

I know that's how PostCast works, not sure about others.

When you configure sendmail in PHP then it will go to PostCast and then through the best route to the recipient. Make sense?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got it, thanks.