SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Network is OK but Internet is down

Our broadband supplier blocked us and another company in our building on Friday because they thought we had a virus due to a lot of traffic. They put us back online Yesterday and all the computers (5 pcs and 1 Mac) are now working except my PC.

It can communicate with the other computers on the network sharing files, printing etc but I cannot get any external connection through either IE, Firefox, MSN Messenger, Ping or Outlook.

Anybody got any ideas on what I should try to troubleshoot the problem as I know very little about networking.

Thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you are not getting an external IP address but your computer is back on the network. Holding all things equal, and assuming nothing has changed with the wiring or configuration....I say try re-booting. Much like the order of operations in math, your computer may have booted up faster than your routers, switches etc... could assign it an IP adress.

Start there and see if it works.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rebooted several times since everybody else came back online. We have a static external IP adderess that we all share if this makes any difference

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    static ip address for all pc? try to 'ping' your gateway.. or try to 'ping' other website like www.yahoo.com

if you cannot ping your gateway or dns servers or other ip besides your static ip then i think your ip address are still block by your broadband supplier..

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Control Panel>Internet Options
    Connections Tab
    Lan Settings> Make sure the Automatic Discovery is ticked then press OK.

If that doesn't work then In Windows 2k:
    Clcik the "Setup" button.
    New Box pops Up
    Select - "I want to set up my Internet connection manually, or I connect through a local area network." Press Next
    New Box
    Select : "I connect though a local area network(LAN)" then press Next
    New Box
    Make sure Automatic Discovery is ticked then press Next
    New Box
    Select "No" and Press Next.
    New Box
    Click Finish.

WindowsXP isn't much different and i've no XP machine here to jog my memory.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oooops if your broadband supplier was the one who blocked your internet then you should contact them first.. i think theres nothing wrong in your network or internet configuration and you are using static ip.. try confirming it first to your broadband ok..

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by manuelc140
    oooops if your broadband supplier was the one who blocked your internet then you should contact them first.. i think theres nothing wrong in your network or internet configuration and you are using static ip.. try confirming it first to your broadband ok..
    but if the other computers are connecting to the 'net then we can pretty much take it as granted that the Broadband connection is fine.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he said that he can access files/printers on his network then there is no problem on his part.. thats why i assume that way, he dont have internet access which he said that was blocked..

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by manuelc140
    he said that he can access files/printers on his network then there is no problem on his part.. thats why i assume that way, he dont have internet access which he said that was blocked..
    Quote Originally Posted by artemis
    They put us back online Yesterday and all the computers (5 pcs and 1 Mac) are now working except my PC.
    Hence my reasoning that its his PC or Cable rather than a network error