SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dialling into ISP internationally

How do I get dial-up networking to recognise that I want to dial an international number using a calling card?

(If you can figure out what I mean - great!, otherwise, I will be back in a few hours as I have a bus to catch in like 5 mins!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK,

I am try to dial into my UK ISP to access some files which I urgently need to retrieve from my webspace there.

The ISP in question does not allow you to access their FTP servers unless you have dialled in using their dial-up connection, for which I have the number for here.

I have worked out that I can dial in using a phone card which I use to call home regularly, but must dial a number here, enter a PIN number, then dial the UK number. This will work because I have tried it using the phone hear and it started handshaking after I entered the ISPs UK number.

I know I could just make an international call from the house, BUT the problem there is that international calling is not enabled on the plan here, and also, it costs a bomb! (A lot more than using the phone card does anyway!)

After examining Dial-Up Networking, I have concluded that it is possible to the calling card to do this, it even gives you the option to use the PIN which is all good, but how do I get Dial-Up Networking to realise that I want to make an international call using the calling card option?

Help!

e=2.718281828459045235360 HyperBaseball's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something you could try... if I'm understanding what you want to do correctly, is set your dial-up to dial the number, but put a boat load of spaces at the beginning. When the modem picks up to dial and starts spacing, pick up the phone and dial your calling card and put the pin number in. It might take a few tries to get enough spaces in so you can finish using the card, but probably worth a shot.

Good luck.
    Jason Unger is me.
    "Homer no function beer well without"
    http://www.jasonunger.com