SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Security notice using MSIE

I am programming/maintaining a business intranet site using MS IIS / ASP. The site also uses SSL to encrypt server/client connections. Recently I have been provided a set of files to facilitate training courseware. They consist of mostly HTML with embedded Flash. The main menu is a simple HTML page with links that spawn a window containing the Flash to present the interactive training. When using IE a warning pops up that the window contains secure and non secure items and asks if the visitor wants to continue. This doesn't occure when using Firefox. Please don't suggest not using IE, that is not an option.

What needs to be done to be rid of the warning?
    There are three types of people.
    Those that can count and
    those that cannot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm guessing you have some images or other content that's being served from a non-SSL site. Move those files to the SSL site and your warning should go away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

The culprits seem to be in the object and embed tags that contain the codebase and pluginspage paramaters respectivly. The parameters are assigned URLS that point to the Macromedia site. When I remove them it all works and there is no security notice.

I assume that the parameters point the user to Macromedia if they don't have the Flash player installed on their computer.

Are there any known difficulties if I just leave these parameters empty or delete them altogether?
    Last edited by newsomer; Aug 10, 2005 at 10:18. Reason: Emphasize the question.
    There are three types of people.
    Those that can count and
    those that cannot.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This should work without the codebase and pluginspace parameters

Code:
    <object
    type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="movie.swf" 
    width="400" height="300">
    <param name="movie" value="movie.swf" />
    </object>
    however it does have some drawbacks, mainly that if the movie is large and is being served up over a slow link it will not stream. For more information on this and a workaround for the problem I just mentioned go here http://www.alistapart.com/articles/flashsatay/