SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard megamanXplosion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Survey: Operating System Priorities

I am currently finishing the preparation work for a small Windows Vista web site. The Windows Vista web site will have a feature list as its main focus and I need your help organizing it. The organization will depend on what you think are the most important aspects of an operating system (not specifically Windows Vista or where you think it improved the most, but what you find most important for your usage of the computer.)

I would appreciate it very much if you could answer the ten questions below. Please note that I will not include surveys that rank everything the same in my results (even if I did they wouldn't make a difference, so don't waste your time or mine.)

1. On a scale of 1 (least important) to 10 (most important), how would you rank Internet browsing and networking?

2. On a scale of 1 (least important) to 10 (most important), how would you rank gaming and multimedia?

3. On a scale of 1 (least important) to 10 (most important), how would you rank usability and accessibility?

4. On a scale of 1 (least important) to 10 (most important), how would you rank visual appearance?

5. On a scale of 1 (least important) to 10 (most important), how would you rank file management and organization?

6. On a scale of 1 (least important) to 10 (most important), how would you rank security and privacy?

7. On a scale of 1 (least important) to 10 (most important), how would you rank performance and stability?

8. On a scale of 1 (least important) to 10 (most important), how would you rank deployment and Servicing?

9. On a scale of 1 (least important) to 10 (most important), how would you rank advancements in hardware support?

10. On a scale of 1 (least important) to 10 (most important), how would you rank software programming advancements?

I look forward to seeing the responses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. 5
    2. 2
    3. 10
    4. 8
    5. 10
    6. 10
    7. 10
    8. 10
    9. 8
    10. 8

One thing you don't have listed, is multi-tasking... I dislike the windows taskbar very much, it gets really cluttered when I really get into my work. I absolutely love Mac's Finder icon in the top right that let's me go to any window.

- Eric
    Eric Coleman
    We're consentratin' on fallin' apart
    We were contenders, now throwin' the fight
    I just wanna believe, I just wanna believe in us

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Megaman,

I've answered your questions in order (rank is on the left). I've assumed that only one rank can be assigned to a characteristic.

1 = 5
    2 = 2
    3 = 1
    4 = 3
    5 = 10
    6 = 7
    7 = 9
    8 = 6
    9 = 4
    10 = 8

Hope these help
    Last edited by baztorres; Aug 8, 2005 at 03:12. Reason: Did the numbers the wrong way round!
    Baz
    ---

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eric: Multi-tasking falls under the Usability and Accessibility category. Thanks for answering the questions.

Baz: I apologize for the confusion, I meant to say "rating" and not "rank." You can assign the same rating to multiple categories. Feel free to edit your post or reply if you wish to change the ratings you applied.

Thanks for answering the questions, your input will be helpful. Any other SitePointers want to give their 2 cents?

Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy Force Flow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    [edit]: whoops, I see that it was rating, not rank...here's rating:
    1 - 9
    2 - 10
    3 - 10
    4 - 6
    5 - 7
    6 - 8
    7 - 10
    8 - 7
    9 - 8
    10 - 7
    Last edited by Force Flow; Aug 8, 2005 at 19:28.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generation X Finance
    Helping a Unique Generation Achieve Financial Independence

Financial Planning writer at About.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Force and Marubozo

Marubozo, what order are those listed in? Do the numbers correspond to the questions or are they ranked?

Everyone: Could you please stick to Question-Answer (Q1: 10; Q2: 5; etc.) format please? It is time-consuming to go through several different formats based on the question order, rank order, etc. and constantly reference the original questions. Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the confusion, those are listed in question order... so the first number is for #1, the next one is for #2, and etc.
    Generation X Finance
    Helping a Unique Generation Achieve Financial Independence

Financial Planning writer at About.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jeremy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    1. On a scale of 1 (least important) to 10 (most important), how would you rank Internet browsing and networking?

2. On a scale of 1 (least important) to 10 (most important), how would you rank gaming and multimedia?
    7 (more for multimedia than gaming)

3. On a scale of 1 (least important) to 10 (most important), how would you rank usability and accessibility?

4. On a scale of 1 (least important) to 10 (most important), how would you rank visual appearance?
    7 (I can live with some ugly in my OS but interface consistency is most important, which is where most OSes fail)

5. On a scale of 1 (least important) to 10 (most important), how would you rank file management and organization?

6. On a scale of 1 (least important) to 10 (most important), how would you rank security and privacy?

7. On a scale of 1 (least important) to 10 (most important), how would you rank performance and stability?

8. On a scale of 1 (least important) to 10 (most important), how would you rank deployment and Servicing?

9. On a scale of 1 (least important) to 10 (most important), how would you rank advancements in hardware support?
    8 (I'd rather see solid support for fewer devices than shoddy support for many devices)

10. On a scale of 1 (least important) to 10 (most important), how would you rank software programming advancements?
    4 (do you mean OS APIs for developers to use, or advancements in the programming of the OS itself?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Vinnie (and I did mean APIs on #10)