SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know you said to choose from the ones above but I didn't like any of the brands. I suggest http://www.apple.com/powerbook/ if your willing to try something new. They are light and very powerful a pretty cheap.

If you want to go on the Windows end of it I suggest Sony.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by templates911
    I know you said to choose from the ones above but I didn't like any of the brands. I suggest http://www.apple.com/powerbook/ if your willing to try something new. They are light and very powerful a pretty cheap.

If you want to go on the Windows end of it I suggest Sony.
    Why Sony? Sony overprices their products, and they aren't even top of the line. In terms of durability, Apple is first Toshiba is second (don't have a link to this, but that's what the list the tech people at Best Buy have -- take it as you wish). Toshiba makes way cheaper notebooks than Sony.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhois
    Why Sony? Sony overprices their products, and they aren't even top of the line. In terms of durability, Apple is first Toshiba is second (don't have a link to this, but that's what the list the tech people at Best Buy have -- take it as you wish). Toshiba makes way cheaper notebooks than Sony.
    Not quite, though I do agree on the fact that Sony's generally are a waste of money. The one thing that must be said is their screens are amazing. That said, regarding durability:

Apple and IBM are tied for first--both are beautiful machines. Both use metal frames, hinges and covers.
    Asus is probably second (they used to make powerbooks; their homegrown line is new so the jury is still out on exactly how good, but their reputation leads one to believe that it is a solid product)
    Everyone else but Dell
    Dell

When people ask me about getting a windows laptop, my answer is this:

Get an IBM. If you cannot afford a new IBM, get a used IBM. If you cannot afford a used IBM, don't get a laptop.
    PS: if you value your data, never get a dell. One of thier C-level people is on record saying a 50%+ total hardware failure rate is acceptable. My experience has borne this out. Where I work, we bought a dozen dell laptops. Every single one has had a dell tech come out and do major service, such as motherboard replacements. Furthermore, their base installs come so packed with crap that you really must wipe them and start anew.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mPeror
    - 15.4" WXGA UltraSharp Wide screen , up to 128 shared memory
    Hi, is it real Wide XGA monitor, i.e it matrix has physical dimensions with 16:9 ratio or it just supports WXGA resolution like 1280x720?

So , what would you pic if you were me? (please pick from those three laptops only)
    How about noise and warranty for models other than Dell? Many people don't like noise and notebooks without warranty, so you won't be able to sell your used notebook for good price if you'll want to take a new one

- Flash card reader
    Costs $20 or less, so don't count it because you can buy and use external USB reader for multiple formats (a very small device)

- DVD\DVD-+RW
    DVD-+RW is also a very useful option because you can burn DVDs (up to 4.7Gb), not only CDs (just 650+Mb) besides ability to read DVD-+RW discs

- TV-out
    Another useful thing because some people use notebooks w/ DVD drives as DVD players

Like Fujitsu has the processing speed , Dell has the DDRII and Bluetooth (but it's very heavy compared to the other two) and LG has a graphics card that isn't shared and is it's very light , too.
    Hmm, i don't think that 1.8 GHz CPU is much faster than 1.73 or 1.7 GHz CPU even for Pentium-M technology