SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My faith in hip-hop restored...

Anyone heard of Mat Kearney? This guy is money. Great lyrics and great voice. Check out the album "Bullet"

Here's someone elses review I found on Amazon that I thought was a good write up:

"Even with "Bullet" being his freshman work, Mat's music has already established itself as timeless. Yes, Mat Kearney has a great mind for melodies & he has the tight rhythm lines. But in order to make timeless music, it takes much more than that. The problem with most popular music is the lack of depth; the hook is what most people care about. When that tires, they just move on to the next hit. The average person is just used to being fed ear candy by the radio stations. Timeless music has many different layers and won't wear out. Mat Kearney knows this. You can hear his love for words in every skillful line & his love for not just melody, but the dynamics required for the emotion to last. His songs speak truth and pierce straight to the heart.
    Mark my words: Mat Kearney is going to be huge! The world will know who he is. He has an amazing gift & this album reflects that fact. You can hear that he is a student of music and not just out to make money or be famous.
    I can only hope that music lovers around the world will recognize his talent and not just like him because they're being spoon-fed the music by top 40 stations. Do yourself a favor and buy this CD.
    "

The son of Love and Death silver trophy DraganB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    never heart of him. I am still sticking to North Side rap
    DraganB.com :: logo designs
    Common design that might suit you.
    <quote> I feel like Tony Soprano; who do I trust now?

Snowboarders die even younger igor.kudela's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Igor Kudela
    NetPublisher - FREE Customizable .NET CMS

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rap is for uneducated retards with no futures

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krohnathlonman
    You stated/repeated a very stupid thing. In your opinion, what music is for educated non-retards with bright future?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rock, classical, even country... anything that actually takes talent....

rap is for losers and ghetto folk......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rap takes more talent than country...

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MG315
    rap takes more talent than country...
    this is a crack pipe VS beer bottle discussion...

just because the crack is more expensive doesn't mean its better

notice I said even.... country is the lowest form of music while rap isn't by any means music.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its funny because I listen to rap (all my life)...have 2 degrees (Bs, Ms) from a top school and left medical school due to an illness.....

hmmmmm.....uneducated retard

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are exceptions to every rule... Rap tends to snag alot of wannabe's or AKA whiggers....

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are exceptions to every rule... Rap tends to snag alot of wannabe's or AKA whiggers....
    true however that these titles cannot apply to me..... in addition... I know a lot of "exceptions" or 90% of my friends

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there's always going to be the people who listen to truly everything.... I lean more towards rock but go way back to classic rock more than modern rock with plenty of blues & jazz to the oddball hair band to some country (not the drunken hillbilly crap or the whiny I'm soo ugly my woman left me for my brother type either)

there's just no substance to rap.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there's always going to be the people who listen to truly everything.... I lean more towards rock but go way back to classic rock more than modern rock with plenty of blues & jazz to the oddball hair band to some country (not the drunken hillbilly crap or the whiny I'm soo ugly my woman left me for my brother type either)

there's just no substance to rap.

Rap is just as broad as rock however mtv only plays one kind of rap....rap/hip hop fans complain about this ..however one can say...i do not think rock due to its lack of substance....is just an opinion... due to lack of understand of the music/culture.... People like rap for a reason, rock for a reason and country for a reason.... Rap is the the progression of blues & jazz.... jazz & blues --->soul---> r&b(rhythm and blues)--->rap

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pretty much everything could be called the progression of blues & jazz......

Blues was built by the legendary guitar gods which later progressed to the Beatle's to Eric Clapton to Hendrix.....

similiar things could be said about country.....

Blues & jazz has been absorbed by pretty much all music.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pretty much everything could be called the progression of blues & jazz......

Blues was built by the legendary guitar gods which later progressed to the Beatle's to Eric Clapton to Hendrix.....

similiar things could be said about country.....

Blues & jazz has been absorbed by pretty much all music.
    yeap

SitePoint Evangelist webfreebies's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The OP was talking about HIP HOP, not Rap music. Thanks for playing-- better luck next time.

Golgotha-- listened to samples at Amazon. For some reason, this guy kinda reminds me of a cross between Coldplay and "JustJack." Sounds good!
    Retro-Ads.net- vintage ads from the 20s-80s.
    NYC-Pics.com- free photos of NYC

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rap was mentioned by poster #2...

Try reading the whole thread

also WTF is the difference between rap and hip hop? certainly not much....

SitePoint Evangelist webfreebies's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uh... I DID read the whole thread. Try responding TO the original poster, and not seizing another poster's comments as an opportunity to rant about how much you hate a certain genre. I don't think the OP started this thread so that people could jump in and start ranting about how much they hate rap and try to bait people into arguments *defending* their tastes in music.

WTF is the difference between rap and hip hop? I'm glad you asked. The stuff that most people identify as rap-- Top 40 gangsta junk-- is but a SMALL subgenre of the hugeness that is hiphop. In fact, there's even debate about whether that type of *rap* could even be included as a category under hiphop, because hiphop as a sound and genre is definitely something a million times deeper and broader than that garbage. Ever listened to Digable Planets? Ever heard of DJ Shadow? Ever listen to triphop or lounge? These are artists that are either hiphop or genres that borrow heavily from the hiphop sound, and you won't hear one reference to *blingbling* or copkilling or any of that crap that has made gangsta rap notorious. That's because they're the *real deal* and not Top 40 sellouts. If you're really interested in knowing what *real* hiphop is like, then do what you or anyone else would do to learn about *real* rock or *real* pop-- eschew the Top 40 garbage passing itself as that genre, and seek out the underground/ alternative stuff.

BTW, I'm not asking you to like the stuff, either. But it would do you some good to become acquainted with several genres of music, so you develop some tolerance, and don't go around insensitively insulting other people's tastes in music, or putting them on the defensive about it.
    Retro-Ads.net- vintage ads from the 20s-80s.
    NYC-Pics.com- free photos of NYC

The son of Love and Death silver trophy DraganB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hip hop:= a way of life
    rap:= part or hip-hop, stricty music

'nuff said
    DraganB.com :: logo designs
    Common design that might suit you.
    <quote> I feel like Tony Soprano; who do I trust now?

Snowboarders die even younger igor.kudela's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah read all your posts and all i can say u have spoken like a true *** hole in all you posts so just drop the issue and get help
    Igor Kudela
    NetPublisher - FREE Customizable .NET CMS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rock, classical, even country... anything that actually takes talent....

rap is for losers and ghetto folk......
    this is a crack pipe VS beer bottle discussion...

just because the crack is more expensive doesn't mean its better

notice I said even.... country is the lowest form of music while rap isn't by any means music.
    Your ignorance astounds me.

I like how you call people "uneducated retards," while you're the one who neglects to follow some of the basic rules of English.

Anyway, you think all Rock takes talent? I mean, sure, of course we have the Hendrixes, Vais, Malmsteens, Pages, Claptons, Townshends, Gilmores, and countless other amazing guitar players, however we also have bands like Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, AFI, All American Rejects, Nirvana, Modest Mouse, Bright Eyes, and the like whose songs consist nothing more than a good 4-8 power chords.**

**I'm not saying these bands are bad, I'm just saying they don't take much talent to play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan B
    Anyway, you think all Rock takes talent? I mean, sure, of course we have the Hendrixes, Vais, Malmsteens, Pages, Claptons, Townshends, Gilmores, and countless other amazing guitar players, however we also have bands like Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, AFI, All American Rejects, Nirvana, Modest Mouse, Bright Eyes, and the like whose songs consist nothing more than a good 4-8 power chords.**
    Hey, I agree that almost all of those bands suck besides Nirvana. Don't mix grunge with alternative rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan B
    **I'm not saying these bands are bad, I'm just saying they don't take much talent to play.
    If it doesn't take much talent why are you becoming a designer and not a musician? =)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    People People... ALL music is good. Music is a window to our sould, no matter what kind it is. We all will have different songs that "speak" to us.

Can't we all be friends?
    Sara

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalish
    Hey, I agree that almost all of those bands suck besides Nirvana. Don't mix grunge with alternative rock.

If it doesn't take much talent why are you becoming a designer and not a musician? =)

I'm currently in school for music, and I plan on being a musician.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing about rap is that it doesn't rely on pure English, more so loosley related syllables. Where as many rap songs have rhyming in them, if you took the intended words, they do not really rhyme. Many times they even use the SAME word for the rhyme, which doesn't make much sense. ie:

"Holla" and "Dollars" do NOT rhyme. When you remove the "r" sound in the end of the word "Dollars", then yes, it will rhyme, but in English there is no such thing as "Dollas". It's that loose fixation on syllables and how they sound that a lot of rap relies on.

Personally, I don't care what kind of music it is, if it has a good beat, I'll get it.