• I don't know

7 21.88%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there a god?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can fully understand someone who says that my God is not the true God...but I will never see how some peopel can be so cold as to not believe in ANY kind of right or wrong...which requires a belief in some sort of higher power. I hope no one is offended by that...it's simply the honest truth.

Anyway, this poll is a bit off...if I were going to be REALLY technical, I'd choose "I don't know"...technically we should all choose that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's possible to believe in right and wrong without believing in a higher power. Last I checked most atheists weren't psychopaths.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But how? I mean a real right and wrong -- not an opinion. Not a right and wrong that is simply a result of a society. I'm talking about an ABSOLUTE right and wrong. Rape is wrong, period. Murder (save for self defense and such, you know the drill), is wrong...historical circumstances be damned! I may never comprehend how a living, breathing human being can find these to be mere opinions, or suggestions, or what is right and wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if you allow for the 'higher power' to be society, or parents, then I guess I could agree with that. But I think that with experience, people might tend to come up with those things on their own anyway.

Gong!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there even absolute rightness/wrongness? Under certain cirmunstances, wrong thing could be considered as the right one and the other way around. It's just not so simple.

People need certain "norms" to make things work -- it wouldn't do any good if there would be no "rules" or "standards" to live with. And actually, believing in what's right and what's wrong does not have anything to do with "higher powers". But I certainly try to act by what I think is right and wrong.

But to the actual topic: even though how much I would like to believe in god, I just can't do it -- it would be like betraying yourself and what you are.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no absolute right and wrong. They are concepts that exist as a result of socialogical climate - they do not dictate it. The idea that a "higher" power arbitarily decides what falls within which camp is merely an excercise in avoiding having to defend your particular flavour of morals.

H
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See, that's what I'm talking about. I don't think I can comprehend the fact that some people out there will tell you that rape and murder are not wrong -- just something that will get you into trouble today. Why has mankind adapted over time to prevent these things more and more? There were times where killing someone didn't necessarily have any penalty attached to it.

If absolute truths like right and wrong are simply an excuse I use so as to avoid defendend my own morals, then your belief that nothing is wrong is an excuse for...well, everything. Think about how much flexibility that gives you. You could kill me, and the only reason it's wrong is because some people say so? Harumph.

Sorry, but I think that humans have a deep-down sense of right and wrong. I think people in all times have seen injustices that were socially tolerated for the most part, and been upset by them, which, I think, is one of the reasons these things are abolished after awhile. We now have penalties/punishment, in some of the more advanced countries at least, for things like murder and rape, and our country, for example, has done away with slavery.

I think there's more to your conscience than social brainwashing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris, I think that some people have higher SQ (Spiritual Intelligence) than others. Look at this:

IQ ( intellectual or rational intelligence) Usually equated with having high logical, strategic, mathematical and linguistic talents. Good for solving problems.

EQ (emotional intelligence) Equally important as IQ in determining success. People with a high EQ relate well with others, have high self-esteem and respond appropriately to situations.

SQ (Spiritual Intelligence) Not a recognized intelligence to date but just as essential to our well being. Puts our individual lives in larger context. Gives meaning and purpose in life and allows us to create new possibilities.

Low SQ can make a person act without any consideration of other people --> if you're angry you'll just murder someone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's interesting...though keep in mind it still implies some kind of higher power.